PDA

View Full Version : I love walnut. Walnut platter.

Toney Robertson
01-04-2009, 3:55 PM
21" x 1" - Danish Oil - Not buffed yet. The end grain made this piece a pain. Anyone know of an effective way to cut end grain?

My Mother (who is almost 91) can't understand why I would want a piece with a hole in it. She does not understand that the hole is what makes it art! :grin:

This was a piece of walnut that was a slab cut off of where a limb took off the main trunk before the main trunk was cut into lumber. I always wondered what I would do with these chunks. I have an entire stack of these that measures probably 5' x 5' x 5'. They have been drying in the barn for 30 years, I think they are dry!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/164-64.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/164-64A.jpg

All comments welcome.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2009, 4:11 PM
That is a beauty Toney. Yep gotta love turn'in that walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2009, 4:20 PM
Toney - you did a great job on displaying some beautiful wood! Love the rich color and all the variations in the grain! This one grabs your attention! Very nice work!

Chris Haas
01-04-2009, 5:37 PM
i get a lot of that "whys there a hole in it" stuff too. some people just dont get it.

Richard Madison
01-04-2009, 5:43 PM
Toney,
You might want to post some guards around that barn. Beautiful platter.

Don Carter
01-04-2009, 5:45 PM
Now that is art, Toney! That is some beautiful wood. Great job on the turning. Do you need any help getting rid of some of that stash?;)
All the best.

Don

Curt Fuller
01-04-2009, 6:54 PM
Holy Mackeral that's pretty!

Jon Lanier
01-04-2009, 7:55 PM
Very nice indeed!

Bill Embrey
01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah... come on guys... it's got a HOLE in it... Toney, box it up and ship out here to Oklahoma and you won't have to get made fun of any more :D

After seeing this TWENTY ONE!!!! inch platter posted, I almost chickened out on posting mine... I love Walnut and this is one of the finest displays of it I've ever seen... GOOD JOB!!! (to bad you couldn't find a piece without a hole... LOL)

steven carter
01-05-2009, 9:30 AM
Toney,

I'm in east central Indiana, where exactly did you say that barn was located?:rolleyes: Seriously, very nice platter, and my wife says the same thing when a bark inclusion turns into a hole in a bowl or platter.

Steve

Rick Prosser
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
There is no effective way to turn end grain - so, to save you the aggravation, I will take all the end grain pieces off your hands ;):D

Toney Robertson
01-05-2009, 3:40 PM
Thank you for all the nice comments.

As I stated I love walnut and this piece of walnut did nothing but amplify that feeling. My goal was not to screw it up.

Toney

Keith Christopher
01-05-2009, 4:03 PM
This is an awesome piece and as others have said walnut is so nice to turn. As the for the end grain have you tried (not recommended on this piece) performing a shear cut with a scraper ?

Toney Robertson
01-05-2009, 8:25 PM
This is an awesome piece and as others have said walnut is so nice to turn. As the for the end grain have you tried (not recommended on this piece) performing a shear cut with a scraper ?

Keith,

On this piece I used a scraper a lot and then cleaned up the tear out with shear scraping before sanding. Very time consuming since I had to take easy to minimize flexing.

Thanks,

Toney

Skip Spaulding
01-05-2009, 9:03 PM
Toney, awesome platter, tell your Mother that a good pile of fresh baked cookies would probably hide that hole for a short time !

Jim Kountz
01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Nice nice grain, wild patterns and color. You did a fantastic job with it!!