PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Demo Question

Kerry Adams
01-04-2009, 3:04 PM
Good Afternoon,

Ripping out neighbors kitchen tomorrow. 20 year old formica with 4 in backsplash. Back splash and countertop have metal strip in between. We understand there will be damage, but what can be done to minimize it. Do I need a new tool?LOL

Thanks,
Kerry

Joe Chritz
01-04-2009, 3:34 PM
I don't follow the question completely. If you are worried about damage to the wall above the backsplash you can try to run a utility knife along the top edge to cut into the drywall and help loosen the back splash. If all the cabs are getting torn out it is sometimes easier to just plan on replacing the drywall. Especially if a tile backsplash is going to be used.

Getting the counter out a bit and using a sawzall to cut it into small chunks works well if you aren't trying to save any of it.

Joe

Kerry Adams
01-04-2009, 4:00 PM
Hi Joe,

Yes that is what I am trying to save as much as possible and I had the same idea with the utility knife. Due to finances they will no longer be putting in tile. The cabinets were bulit in place with no backs, so they will be easy.

Thanks,

Kerry

Gordon Harner
01-04-2009, 7:24 PM
Back in the day ( slightly past Noah) I installed these and recently had to demo one on my own kitchen redo. The backsplash can be removed by cutting along the junction of the splash and the counter with a reciprocating saw, if you can't slide the entire counter and splash after disconnecting it from the cabinets. Usually, the backsplash was fastened to the counter by screws from underneath and the metal molding pressed up to the splash to hide the counter to splash joint before the laminate was installed. Most of these counter were shop fabricated not fabricated on site. The demo should go pretty easily and not result in significant damage to the wall. Oh, don't forget to cut any caulk that may be at the edge of the splash.