PDA

View Full Version : how much do you pay for 4'x8' 3/4" oak plywood?

Mike Gager
01-04-2009, 2:27 PM
HD has 4x8 sheets of oak plywood for nearly $60 each, this seems WAY high for the quality of the sheets ive seen. i was curious what you guys pay for those sheets at various locations. i figure they would be cheaper at say a hardwood supplier but ive never priced them before

Kevin Stobb
01-04-2009, 2:45 PM
I get shop grade for $50 a sheet.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-04-2009, 2:59 PM
There are at least two grades of this stuff, so make sure you compare apples to apples. Cabinet grade at the local lumber yard is $76 ish, and at the somewhat local lumber supplier its $66. Both way too high IMHO.:mad:

I've never bought shop grade, so no idea.

Robert Parrish
01-04-2009, 3:17 PM
Lowes sells oak ply for $49.88 here, I buy furniture grade from Steve Wall for $63. the only problem is that you have to buy 5 sheets and pay shipping so I usually combine my ply order with hardwood that I need to save on shipping.

Joe Chritz
01-04-2009, 3:26 PM
B2 grade HPVA graded USA produced red oak (or MDF core) with thick veneer faces runs about $60 at the local Menards. These are only 5 ply but have nearly 1/8" thick fir plys.

A1 grade oak is about $70-$75 when a local lumber yard has it on hand.

I have yet to find any references on the differences in number of plys as to quality of plywood. Consistent thickness in plys and veneer is much more important in my opinion.

Joe

Jay Yoder
01-04-2009, 3:44 PM
Here in Ohio the Oak sheets at Lowe's are about $55...there is a Menard's coming to the general vicinity which I have heard good things about. i checked their flyer this morning and they had Oak and Maple, made in America for around 45 I think...Supposedly they open here in March...I cant wait, although the LOML sure can! hehe...

Seth Poorman
01-04-2009, 4:43 PM
Last summer I bought cabinet grade 3/4" Oak ply at Menards for bout $45 I think, it was just as good as the lumber yards.

Jeff Hallam
01-04-2009, 4:47 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but how often is the plywood that you buy flat? It seems like every time I buy some with intention of making a TS sled or other jigs, the plywood always has a slight bow to it.

I store it upright as close to vertical as I can get it so I don't think it is caused in my shop.

It is highway robbery here for hardwood veneer plywood, and just TRY asking for BB ply, they don't even carry it around here.

Von Bickley
01-04-2009, 4:51 PM
I can get the good stuff for about $50 - $55 per sheet..... :)

Garth Keel
01-04-2009, 6:22 PM
A sheet at Lowes. The last batch I picked from was outstanding.

Jason Hanko
01-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Last summer I bought cabinet grade 3/4" Oak ply at Menards for bout $45 I think, it was just as good as the lumber yards.

Second to that. Normal price for the 3/4'' Menards stuff is about $45, with about a two dollar price difference between 5ply vs MDF core.
I picked up 3 sheets @ $35 each on a black friday sale :D

Bryan Berguson
01-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but how often is the plywood that you buy flat? It seems like every time I buy some with intention of making a TS sled or other jigs, the plywood always has a slight bow to it.

I store it upright as close to vertical as I can get it so I don't think it is caused in my shop.

It is highway robbery here for hardwood veneer plywood, and just TRY asking for BB ply, they don't even carry it around here.

3/4 usually isn't a problem but some of the 1/2 stuff I've seen is absolutely terrible. Last stuff I got was Made in the USA and it was good stuff.

Bryan

Sonny Edmonds
01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Haven't looked in quite a while now. But my local Lowe's sez $48.88 for Oak 7 ply Lowe's classic.
I don't remember if that is the stuff with the full ply faces and hardwood core, or this junk with a veneer face on it.
I won't buy the thin, veneer faced junk. But they usually have the nice full ply faced sheets.
I'm not much pickier than that, and have been happy with the material and results.
Besides, it is real easy to spend more on materials than most folks are willing to pay. They have the Ikea price mentality. :rolleyes:

Scott Vigder
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Here in Salem, OH our BORG has the absolute worst plywood regardless of thickness.

Paradoxically, we have some of the nicest, most knowledgeable employees of any BORG I've been in.

Jamie Buxton
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Rotary cut red oak, shop grade, $50. Plain sliced red oak A-1, $65. Rift white oak A-1, $120. Those are all veneer core prices. You can knock off a few bucks by tolerating MDF cores -- which I never do.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Cabinet grade at $51 in Fort Worth at Barney Robinson's Hardwoods and it was very near dead flat. Also can get Red oak S2S straightlined for $1.99 a BF. Call me happy!

John Grossi
01-05-2009, 5:03 AM
Jay, Where in NE Ohio is a Menards being built? John

Steve Clardy
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
From my cabinet supply

A-2......56.00..USA made

Shop grade....46.00 ..Import

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
In Toronto (Canadian Dollars), red oak 3/4 ply, veneer core is

Shop G1S $69

A1 G2S $103

Regards, Rod.

Paul Johnstone
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
A-1 veneer core from $55 to $65 per sheet.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Oak plywood is strange stuff as far as pricing goes. The first I bought in any amount was from a local lumberyard in the mid 80's for about $50 a sheet. The last I bought at the same lumberyard was several months ago......for about $50 a sheet. The problem is that although the price hasn't changed in years the quality has. The veneers are usually patched together now where the face side used to be a single piece and the voids in the interior
plies can be pathetic. I have never had any problem with this supplier with warping but the length and width can vary also by as much as a quarter inch.

Josiah Bartlett
01-05-2009, 2:21 PM
Oak plywood is strange stuff as far as pricing goes. The first I bought in any amount was from a local lumberyard in the mid 80's for about $50 a sheet. The last I bought at the same lumberyard was several months ago......for about $50 a sheet. The problem is that although the price hasn't changed in years the quality has. The veneers are usually patched together now where the face side used to be a single piece and the voids in the interior
plies can be pathetic. I have never had any problem with this supplier with warping but the length and width can vary also by as much as a quarter inch.

Yeah, I still have a piece sitting in my shop that I bought 10 years ago... for 50 bucks. I don't like oak personally so I guess I'll have to use it up as a project for somebody else.

Kevin Godshall
01-05-2009, 4:44 PM
I can't seem to win at Lowe's. Last 2x there, I saw more putty than veneer on the back of most of what I sorted (about 20 sheets). I've been buying furniture grade from local yard now at about $75 each. Both sides have been exceptional, to the point I can actually choose which pattern I like best for face.

Julian Wong
01-05-2009, 6:46 PM
Jay, Where in NE Ohio is a Menards being built? John

I don't remember the details... supposed to be opening this month in the Canton area.