PDA

View Full Version : My Latest project with pics

Herb Blair
06-20-2004, 6:31 PM
I finally finished my latest project (I've been working on it since March).
It is a 4 Drawer-6 Gun - Gun Cabinet.
The carcase is birch plywood, the face frame, moulding, etc is white Oak, with a couple of pieces of nice 1/4 sawn white oak thrown in. The drawers are dovetailed popular with white oak false fronts. I used 12 inch drawer slides on the drawers. The design is from a Woodsmith magazine. I did one like this a few years ago with glass pains and the wife took it over for a curio cabinet. The Woodsmith design didn't have the drawers in the bottom section, I added them on this copy.
I stained it with Rosewood #59 analine dye then sanded to 220 grit and applied another coat of stain. I then applied 2 coats of Tung Oil with some sanding between coats, I finished it off with 2 coats of General Finishes ARM-R-Seal and sanded with 320 after each coat. Finally I applied a wax finish.
It looks better than the pictures as they don't do it justice, but here are a few anyway.

Tony Falotico
06-20-2004, 6:39 PM
Nice cabinet Herb, I'd never think of looking for guns in a cabinet that nice. Giving me ideas here, I like to keep mine hidden from view. Particularly like the drawers for storage of hand guns and misc supplies.

Nice job Herb, something to be proud of.

Lynn Sonier
06-20-2004, 7:18 PM
Excellent work, Herb. You sure you just finished it - it looks like an antique!

Of course, so do I!

John Miliunas
06-20-2004, 9:46 PM
Beutiful looking piece, Herb! The addition of the drawers must truly make it that much more functional and look right to home. :) I'm usually not one for drastic changes to the natural look of the wood, but as Lynn indicated, yours lends itself to a truly anique look. Nice execution throughout! :cool:

John Olson
06-20-2004, 10:10 PM
I like that a lot. To bad I am retired, may be we could have got the union to require our weapons to be locked up in one of those. I am sure the tax payers would love to pay for 30 of them. LOL Now you will have to write an article on how you did this box.

Jim Ketron
06-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Great Job!! :eek:
Best gun cabinet I have ever seen!
nice finish too.
Jim ketron

Steve King
06-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Herb,
Very nice job, I like the way you put the lock for the doors at the top.
Steve

Martin Shupe
06-21-2004, 2:21 AM
Very nice indeed! I have always wanted to build a nice gun cabinet.

Herb Blair
06-21-2004, 5:34 AM
Steve,
I put locks at both the top and bottom. The doors are made such that you can't open the left until the right one is opened. Both locks are keyed the same.
The drawers are locked by a hidden mechanizim (rods). You have to open the top before you can open the drawers.

Jim Becker
06-21-2004, 9:24 AM
Now, I'm not a gun cabinet kind of guy, but I have to say this is an outstanding example of a beautiful woodworking project that really works for the intended purpose. Excellent job, Herb! I really like the design with the four drawers on the bottom. That was a good adaptation that is more than functional. It makes the whole piece feel "grounded" and stable. I look forward to seeing more projects from you.

Steve Clardy
06-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Great looking Design and Finish. I like it!!:D
Steve

Donnie Raines
06-21-2004, 10:24 AM
WOW! Those most be some special guns to have a home like this! Great work!

David Wilson
06-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Herb,
Beautiful gun case but looks lonsome empty.

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Purty, Herb, very purty! I see that the guns will be well cared for! :)