PDA

View Full Version : Cherry HF - After Your Suggestions

BILL DONAHUE
01-04-2009, 1:08 PM
Well it took a while to get back to this but I've got a good excuse. The excuse is called good weather and offshore fishing - 1st picture is proof. Been going offshore almost every day during the Christmas vacation. The HF is 10 1/8" high X 7 1/2" wide and is cherry with a becote finial and base. Had some very good suggestions from you all so I used an ebony stain on the finial and base. As an experiment I rubbed the stain before it quite dried, removing some of it, let it dry and repeated the process. That left the finial a chocolate brown in color with very prominant figure, more prominant than if it was just ebonized. For Christmas, I was given a Sorby Shear Scraper which some may consider "cheating" but for me was a big help. The cherry is as smooth and slick as glass. It's a neat tool for tool impaired number crunches like me. Had one suggestion about using a UV inhibiting finish on the cherry. I didn't even know that cherry would darken. Any names of these? Thanks for all your help - this is a great forum for ideas.

Don Carter
01-04-2009, 1:17 PM
Bill:
I would say that is at least a double gloat if not a triple. Both pics make me very envious. Great job on both projects. ;)

All the best.

Don

Ken Glass
01-04-2009, 2:14 PM
Bill,
The Fish, Finial and Hollow Form are all keepers. I really like to see the grain on finials and you brought it out with that process very well. What a way to spend the holidays. Great work on all three!!

Moshe Eshel
01-04-2009, 2:41 PM
Bill,
I don't know much about fish, but the HF is really nice, the shape looks classic - I like it a lot.

Great work!

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 2:46 PM
Catch more fish! The lathe will still be there.

Jim Kountz
01-04-2009, 2:55 PM
I remember this one the first time you posted it, it looked really good then and now its just awesome! Good job with it and when is the fish feast??

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2009, 3:01 PM
Bill - the stain on the pedestal & finial worked out great! Really like the darker colorization and the highlighted grain! Just my opinion but I think the hollow form works well as a completed piece with no individual section competing for attention. Very nice work!

Congrats on the fish! Always fun to get offshore as you just never know what you will hook into!

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2009, 4:13 PM
Great looking HF. Oh yea gotta love the fishing.

Cyril Griesbach
01-04-2009, 4:17 PM
Nice fish and nice hollow form. When the bite is on the lathe can wait.