PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinder issue

skott nielsen
01-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I have a Dayton 8 inch heavy duty slow speed grinder somewhere above the Delta and below a Baldor in cost and quality. My problem is a lot of vibration on spin up but then smooth running at speed. I have carefully dressed the Norton wheels and they seem pretty true.. My big concern is I have right to left slop in the shaft of a 1/4 inch or so. In other word if I put my hands on the outside of each wheel I can move the shaft back and forth and when grinding tools, primarily turning tools, the shaft willl move slightly from side to side with pressure of the tools.

Is this normal and if not (i don't think it is) what would the solution be.

Skott

Roy Wall
01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Scott,

Your grinder could need new bearings - most bearings last about 15-20 years. How old is the grinder?

The end bells have recesses to house the bearings and a series of spacer washers and one wavey washer to keep the shaft in place without play. If this is a used, old grinder....they could have been left out. This will cause the sliding back and forth. Your situation is much better than a shaft that has play up & Down.

The slow speed should power up smooth all the way. replacing bearings is not difficult - but requires the usual learning curve.

skott nielsen
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
It is only a few months old . Initially I did not notice this phenomenon.