PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Grizzly G0440 Cyclone

Michael Schapansky
01-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I got the Grizzly 2HP cyclone for Christmas, it actually arrived at the beginning of December. I just installed it last week and spent much of my vacation getting my wiring done. When I arrived at the Test Run in the instructions I turned it on for the first time, and WHOOSH! Sounds like there's a jet turbine in the garage with me! It FEELS like there's a jet engine in there too. But then I try the remote. The unit came up and then shut down by itself with an overload fault. Red light on the front panel. The supplement to the manual says to turn off and on the Main Switch to reset. However the unit still shows an overload and won't run. Has anyone had this happen before and how did you solve it?

Thanks!

Joe Chritz
01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Do you have duct work installed? Have you double checked all the wiring to be sure it is in the correct locations? What remote system do you have?

Joe

Sonny Edmonds
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Lots of possiblities here.
What voltage are you supplying it?
What voltage is the motor hooked up for?
Do you have the voltage specified at the unit?
What size wire did you use?
How far is it from your main panel, or sub panel, to the unit?
Go back over the wiring you installed and make sure the connections are all sound.
My first inclination is you have done something wrong along your wiring installation. A week is a long time to take to do the wiring necessary for a dust collector.
If it is a 240 volt circuit, and you used the wrong type of a CB at the panel, you may not have 240 volts at all, You may have two circuits of the same leg of power from the panel. Make sure you have 240 volts acrossed the two hot wires, and 120 volts from each wire to a ground.
Did you use a proper wire size? I would have used at least # 12 gage wire for this at 240 volts.
Recheck everything. :o

John Bush
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi Michael.
If you did the same thing I did it is an easy fix. I fired mine up before I had enough duct attached to create sufficient resistance and the motor overloaded. Seems counterintuitive at first but basically---more air---more work. Lots of threads here discussing DC's and air dynamics . Go search when you have several days to read all the great stuff. Otherwise, there is a reset button inside the control box. You need to remove the cover and reset and you should be good to go. I only did mine 3 times showing of the system before I hooked up enough pipe. Good luck, JCB.

Scott Rollins
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
John beat me to it...open the control box (with the power disconnected!!) and reset the overload. If it does not reset it will need to be replaced. Also with a meter check for correct voltage at the control box.

Michael Schapansky
01-04-2009, 1:00 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the helpful responses. In fact I don't have my ductwork installed yet. I set the unit up and the step before installing ducting is to test. Pressing the blue button inside the control box worked and the overload fault is gone. Thank you very much for the info! Now, off to find some ducting!