PDA

View Full Version : Looking for foldable Workbench/table legs

Russell Tribby
01-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I remember seeing some foldable workbench legs, I think in an issue of FWW, though it might have been in another magazine, that folded like a book and used a piano hinge in the middle. Beyond that I don't remember much. I think the plans/idea called for building two sets of legs that were somehow connected by stretchers. The whole idea allowed you to break it down and make it relatively easy to transport, set up and store. Is this ringing a bell for anyone? I've looked through all of my recent back issues and checked some threads on here but haven't had any luck.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Russell,

There was an article in FWW titled "A Circular Say in the Wood
Shop" by Gary Williams, in the July/August 2000 issue. In it he describes making a sacrificial cutting table from 2/4 lumber and banquet legs.

I made one and use it extensively. You build it 3ft. by 7ft. and you can cut full sheets of ply without the offcuts falling off the table. It's simple, cheap, lightweight and very fast to build. And since you set you saw blade with a full tooth cutting below the workpiece, there's no futzing around with spacers underneath, you're just cutting shallow grooves in the 2x4 top, hence the sacrificial.

He also describes setting up your saw for super accurate cuts and making different straight cutting guides to use with the table. Most useful for sheet goods.

Russell Tribby
01-04-2009, 2:24 PM
Thanks Paul. I'm not so much concerned with the top since I already have an idea for it. Maybe I'm just imagining the legs, although I can see them in my head.

Don L Johnson
01-04-2009, 2:45 PM
Russell,

I just picked up some "Folding Table Leg Brackets" from Rockler for a folding outfeed table I'll be attaching to my table saw. The max size of table leg is 1 1/2" x 1 1/2", so don't know if that would be big enough for your application.

Russell Tribby
01-04-2009, 2:59 PM
Don, if I remember correctly these legs were made entirely of plywood and involved a piano hinge. In this set up the legs were independent of the top so that when broken down they were completely separate pieces.