PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal with WD-40; What pads to use

Greg L. Brown
01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I have some light rust on my TS and Bandsaw cast iron tops that I need to remove. I plan to use WD40, but I'm not sure what to use scrub it with. Should I use those green 3M Scotchbrite pads that most people use for scrubbing dishes? Here's the link: http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/scrubbing_scouring.html

Do I just use those scrubbing pads with my hand (not attached to a flat block)? I think using my ROS would be overkill for light rust, right?

Thanks,
Greg

Doug Shepard
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
That would probably work fine. I usually keep some steel wool pads around for cleaning cast iron but dont know why the dish scouring pads wouldn't work just as well. Wrapping 600 grit wet/dry paper around a small scrap sanding block also works well.

Howard Acheson
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
There is little difference between standard mineral spirits and WD-40 for your application. They are kissin' cousins with the WD-40 having a couple of other water dispersing ingrediants. There is very, very little in the way of lubricants.

I would just use mineral spirits with the green scotchbrite or 400 grit Wet&Dry sandpaper. Wipe with lots of paper towels and follow with a coat of Boeshield T-9. That should clean it up and give you maximum protection.

Russ Massery
01-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I've found Johnson's paste wax and 0000 steel wood work just as well. And waxes the surface at the same time.:D

Bruce Page
01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
The green ones are pretty course. I like to use the grey for cast iron.
You can find them (maybe not 3M) at the borg.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Like Bruce I use the gray ones on my cast iron tops, use it under a ROS. I spritz any rust spots with WD-40 and follow up with a balled up piece of wax paper to coat the top. Fast, cheap and easy, like I like it.

Lorne Steed
01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I use the same system as Howard Acheson and find that it works very well. I might add that I follow up the wet sanding with a light rub of 0000 steel wool, wipe it down thoroughly with paper towels and blow off any dust with the compressor. Then I spray a very light application of Boeshield T9 and rub and polish it in with a paper towel. I live on Vancouver Island which is a very humid environment and have to redo the application only about once every six months.

abram godshall
01-04-2009, 1:05 PM
i just did my tablesaw, jointer and bandsaw. for all 3 i sprayed with wd40, used fine steel wool to disperse it all over, put some elbow grease into with the steel wool, wiped it down with paper towels/rags, checked it and repeated the process except the second time i use 600 grit sandpaper. i then applied johnsons paste wax, buffed with a orbital buffer, applied a second coat and hand buffed it and finally applied boshield. all came out smooth as glass. now i need to recupirate (arms feel like their going to drop off). good luck.

Clifford Mescher
01-04-2009, 1:25 PM
I clean with solvent and maroon scotchbrite, followed by Johnson's wax. In between cleanings I rub with crumbled wax paper to keep it slick. Clifford.