PDA

View Full Version : Digital Protractor - Wixey or Lee Valley

Michael Wildt
01-04-2009, 6:18 AM
Hi,

Just placed an order for the Wixey 8" digital protractor since it was on sale (Rockler) Just as I had placed the order I learned Lee Valley (LV) had one as well that was even cheaper. Now I'm debating which one really is best. I like the LV one since it has the ability to be tightened/locked to hold the measurement. Not sure how the Wixey holds up in comparison. Price wise they are close as is the rest of the specifications.

Any one tried both ? Should I cancel the Wixey order :confused:

Michael

John Jendro
01-04-2009, 9:19 AM
I just did the same thing last night. Reviews appeared to be the same for both, so I went with the Lee Valley. They have free shipping through today too.

Thomas Williams
01-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I have the LV version and have been quite satisfied with the performance. I doubt you would be disappointed with either one.

Mike Goetzke
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Michael - I don't have either, but, your post got me curious. Looks to me like the Wixey has embedded magnets and heftier blades.

(Did Rockler have free shipping - if so can you post the code found it V9728)

Mike

Bill Huber
01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I have the Wixey and really like it the magnets in the base are great when using it on the TS or the BS it just makes it much easier to use.

The only complete I have with it at all is the lock is not that strong and you can move it really easy when locked. Now on the saw for setting the angle this is not a problem and that is what I use it for the most. If you are taking an angle check on something then it can be a problem.

I have a Wixey angle gauge but for some reason I like setting the blade with the protractor.

Michael Wildt
01-04-2009, 2:00 PM
Hi,

Thanks guys for all your guidance. I decided to go with the Lee Valley one instead of the Wixey. I find the possibility of locking (and holding) the angle important and I found that it also can flip the display.

Thanks again.
Michael