PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Turnings?

Richard Madison
01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Never pass up some turning wood. Saved a foot and a half of our Christmas tree trunk, a Noble Fir (why is it not spelled "fur"), sufficient for a couple small vases and a pencil cup. First one roughed and in the bag. Picture to follow in a month or three. New family tradition, a christmas tree pencil cup or weed pot for each year. Just a thought.

Tom Wilson66
01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Richard, how do you turn a pencil cup from an artificial tree? :confused:

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Rich,
Who say woodworkers are not GREEN?

Matt Ranum
01-04-2009, 5:41 PM
Starting a new tradition, then why not turn an ornament for next years tree?

Just a thought from a Christmas tree grower.:D

Richard Madison
01-04-2009, 5:46 PM
No sweat Matt. Got 'em ready for '09 and '10. Dunno about that artificial tree. Maybe need some metal working tools? And the tree would get a little shorter each year, easier to decorate the top. Anyhow have two little vases and a pencil cup roughed and bagged, end grain sealed w/ sanding sealer. Am about half expecting them to split at the bottoms, but maybe not. Just one way to find out for sure.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2009, 6:34 PM
I have my 2009 ornaments for the family ready to go for next year. They are bagged and drying.

Matt Ranum
01-04-2009, 6:49 PM
I'm still pretty new to this turning stuff and now that my busy season is done I'm hoping to get back to it again. Got any ornament designs for a newbie to play with?