PDA

View Full Version : Util base cab- buy or build?

Jay Yoder
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I have been working on a miter saw layout and was planning on custom building the base cabinets out of 3/4" melamine. I stopped at a wholesaler today and can get ready to assemble for $49 for a 36" base cabinet with a drawer on top and 2 doors with adj shelf below. I am not sure it is 3/4" but at least 5/8". So now my quandry is, do I just pick these up and move forward with other projects or should I build my own? I figure that it would take at least 2-2.5 hours more each (x4). I figure materials would run about $45. What would you all do?

Gene Michael
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I used 3/4 melamine for the radial arm saw top and it does fairly well, but it is well supported by a steel frame beneath. Two prefab storage cabinets (24" x 72" x 16" deep) from one of the borgs have been disappointing due to sag. Because they have a lot of give, they wobble from side to side pretty easily. My recommendation is to either build or buy something constructed of a plywood veneer. The plywood is much stronger than the particle board beneath the melamine surface.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-04-2009, 2:20 AM
I'm always in favor of building shop fixtures. Someone made the point recently in another thread that he tries different techniques and maybe some joinery he hasn't tried before on shop fixtures. That's a great idea.

It's a good opportunity to let your imaginationn flow. More often than not I go for strict utility, stable fast and cheap. But sometimes I enjoy really trying to refine an idea and get a little more elaborate.

I do have two mechanics tool chests in my shop, but aside from that I like to build my workstations.

And on the idea of using melamine under your miter saw, it would have to be very well supported with framing underneath, you don't want that surface sagging.

Just think, in the time it took to post and read these replys, you could have had the first one half done.

Rick Fisher
01-04-2009, 4:04 AM
I totally agree on building your shop furniture. I have a Miter saw stand which has a low section in the middle so the table top is level with the saw. It has loads of drawers underneath and almost all my hand / electric tools fit inside.

Its basic, Birch plywood and MDF. Super strong and on 6 casters. I also installed a 110V receptical to the front of it for convenience.

Joe Chritz
01-04-2009, 9:53 AM
All melamine isn't the same so for roughly the same cost (those figures seem high but I didn't crunch any numbers) you get much better raw materials.

Just like furniture for the house, which is what I have been doing lately, I spend about the same and get much much better stuff.

It reminds me of shooting, I bought a reloading set up to save money and now shoot twice as much for the same cost. :rolleyes:

Joe

Jim Becker
01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Jay, I generally am also of the mind that building our own shop fixtures is best overall...it's a chance to try alternative techniques as well as a chance to really make the design our own. That said, there is also a time and "projects list" aspect that is part of the decision. Sometimes we have to trade off on time/convenience when there are other things we really want to get moving on...what is going to be best for you in that respect?

Jay Yoder
01-04-2009, 2:06 PM
Thanks for all the excellent input. The melamine I usually get is from the BORG and have made laundry cabinets and the like. So far it has held up very well! It is the proverbial cost/quality vs speed decision. LOML keeps asking if all I am gonna build is shop cabinet stuff...

Here is my list of projects that I would like to get done (thus the statement of time) not sure the order of importance/priority tho...

1) Miter station- improve miter saw dust collection/functionality and also provide improvement of storage, which is drastically needed.
2) Table saw outfeed with storage underneath
3) Lathe stand- have had Jet 1220 w/ext unopened in box for over a year and 1/2 (Gee, maybe I didnt beat the price increase)... maybe I should sell...hmmm
4) Stand for DW 735 planer
5) Build Norm's router table- must find plans which the 4 year son has lost...
6) found out last night that I may have another commission for an adjustable shelve bookcase...

Jay Yoder
01-04-2009, 4:11 PM
here's what I have visualized...