PDA

View Full Version : Little Gloat !!! cast iron on my Jet TS

Bill Huber
01-03-2009, 10:22 PM
When I got my Jet contractor saw they wanted $160 for the cast iron extensions, It was just out of my budget so I just went with the steel ones.

I spend many hours working with them to get them flat with the table but I never really did, got very close but not like I wanted, there was a hump in the center.

So I have been watching CL for an old saw with a bad motor cheap. There are some extensions on Ebay but they want $30 for them and then another $20 to ship them.

Well I found a Craftsman with a bad motor for $50, went and picked it up today. Now I have cast iron extensions on the Jet and it is sure nice got them flat with the table and they bolted right up, didn't have to do any drilling or anything.

I think now that I have them on and see that they fit well and have the shims made I will pull them off, sandblast them and paint them to match the Jet.

Jim Kountz
01-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Looking good Bill! I bet that will add some stability too. I have one of those extensions in the shop somewhere Ive had for 20 years or so.

Ted Shrader
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Bill -

Good find. They will really clean up nice and make the saw more stable. More mass is good.

Congratulations on your improvement.

Regards,
Ted

Bill Huber
01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Looking good Bill! I bet that will add some stability too. I have one of those extensions in the shop somewhere Ive had for 20 years or so.

Now you tell me......:D

Well its better already with them being flat.

Now I will sell you a good set of steel extension cheap.......

Bill Huber
01-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Bill -

Good find. They will really clean up nice and make the saw more stable. More mass is good.

Congratulations on your improvement.

Regards,
Ted

Thanks Ted, what really got me was the fact that I didn't have to do any hole drilling to put them on. I figured I would have to drill holes but they were lined up just perfect.

Jim O'Dell
01-04-2009, 9:55 AM
Those appear to be the same extensions I have on my Ridgid 3612. Being Emerson made both saws, that's not a surprise. A lot of people don't like them, but I have found them to work just fine. Yes, I have pinched my fingers a couple of times, and you will too. But you learn very quickly. :D Jim.

Bruce Page
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Bill, I had those same extensions on my old Craftsman. For some reason I could never keep my fingers from hanging over the edge of the board when cross cutting so I glued some thin hardboard panels (⅛?) over the webs to keep my fingers from being pinched. It worked like a charm and made cleanup easier too.

Steve Vaughn
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Those look good Bill. Let us see them when you paint them also.

Steve

Bill Huber
01-04-2009, 4:22 PM
Bill, I had those same extensions on my old Craftsman. For some reason I could never keep my fingers from hanging over the edge of the board when cross cutting so I glued some thin hardboard panels (⅛?) over the webs to keep my fingers from being pinched. It worked like a charm and made cleanup easier too.

Something like this???

What a great idea, THANKS !!!!!

I didn't have any 1/8 in. but I had some 3/16 and that worked just as well. I rounded the corners and put just a little bevel on each end so they would set in just right.

105717 105715 105716

Bruce Page
01-04-2009, 5:41 PM
Just like that except yours look a lot better than mine did!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif