PDA

View Full Version : pm 66 takes both hands adjust blade

Mike Hedges
01-03-2009, 9:53 PM
Have a PM 66 , about 5 years old. I have blown out dust with air compressor and used small brushs to clean and have oiled. It takes both hands to raise blade and change angle . Any suggestions

Scott Haddix
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Starting with the most basic possibility, can you confirm you have adequately loosened the lock knob at the center of the front handwheel that you use to lock the blade in place?

Mike Hedges
01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
yes the nut is loose

Ted Shrader
01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Mike -

This happens to mine occasionally. You said you cleaned the elevation/tilt gear teeth. Did you put some wax on them, too?

Next put some Boeshield T9 in the bushings where the elevation/tilt shafts ride. Then squirt some in the trunnion pivots where it goes up/down and tilts. You wil have to put one of those squirt straws in the spray nozzle. Work the mechanisms as you are adding the lube and it will free up. Then add a light coat of wax to the ways where the trunnion tilts.

Good luck,
Ted

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Mike -

This happens to mine occasionally. You said you cleaned the elevation/tilt gear teeth. Did you put some wax on them, too?

Next put some Boeshield T9 in the bushings where the elevation/tilt shafts ride. Then squirt some in the trunnion pivots where it goes up/down and tilts. You wil have to put one of those squirt straws in the spray nozzle. Work the mechanisms as you are adding the lube and it will free up. Then add a light coat of wax to the ways where the trunnion tilts.

Good luck,
Ted

Ted,
This is something I can use. My UNI has not yet required maintenance like this but I will keep this in mind... Thanks!

Mike Hedges
01-04-2009, 7:39 AM
Ted , thanks for the info, will try and get back to you

Karl Brogger
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
-Back off the rack gear a bit. They are always too tight. The front one for angle is pretty easy to get too.

-Lube the pinion and the rack with grease. Don't bother with dry lube, wd40 etc. Same with the curved tracks for the tilt. The up + down pivots on a pin, and with out disassembly can't really be lubed effectively. I've kicked around taking this apart and adding a grease zerk.

Yes, dust will stick to the grease, but it also stays put for quite a while. It came from the factory that way.