PDA

View Full Version : What tools to buy as a new guy

James Roberts
01-03-2009, 7:06 PM
I've seen posts in the past where many of the old veterans recommend the "red handled set" from Harbor Freight for about $60. I am considering the purchase of both the red handled set and the white handled set ($45). It seems to me that one set fills in the gaps the other set has (although there are one or two duplicates). Is there a difference in quality? Better tool steel? Your suggestions and opinions will be appreciated.

I am currently waiting on delivery of my new JET 12x20VShttp://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif, and I'm staring into the abyss while considering choices in tools, chucks (the Nova G3 stands out), sharpening system (Woodcraft's system w/ grinder Wolverine jig and wheel dresser seems like the best bang for buck) as well as the myriad other items that one just "must have"

Don Carter
01-03-2009, 8:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek, James! I don't own either of the sets of tools that you have mentioned (Harbor Freight) but I have looked at both sets in the local store. If this is your first time turning, I would buy one of the sets and get the vortex started. You can always buy more later, believe me.;)

I got into turning several years ago, turning pens and other small things on a Delta midi. I bought tools one at a time as my skills and time on the lathe grew. I am still a newbie in many ways and of course still buying tools as I begin to crave them...er, need them. :rolleyes:

Have fun with it. BTW, congrats on the new lathe. I can't wait to see the pics of your work. Let us know when the lathe comes in. Pics really help.

All the best.

Don

Andrew Nemeth
01-03-2009, 8:57 PM
Welcome aboard James. Sorry I can't be of more assistance to you but I'm sure you will get a few nibbles from some of the turners around here.

David Christopher
01-03-2009, 9:02 PM
I bought a set of steelex tools ( $100 ) and a friend of mine bought a set of sorby tools ( A lot more ) and I cant tell any difference between the two except the price

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
James welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. I bought this set when I started turning to learn and learn to sharpen. Well I still use most of them today 3 yrs later. It has about all you need to get started and for $70 not to bad.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2009, 10:10 PM
James - Welcome to the Creek! When I started turning 4 years ago I picked up the white handle set from Harbor Freight. Seriously, they are not bad tools. I learned how to grind on them and still use them today. When they finally wear out - I will buy the same set again!

Radek Kowalski
01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
I went to the store, checked out both sets. I personally felt the white handled ones looked better. I picked up that set and love the tools.

David Walser
01-03-2009, 11:01 PM
James,

You don't need (or really want) to buy both sets. The tool size differences are really very minor and you'll almost never find yourself unable to do something that you could have done had you both sets. Rather than buying both sets, the extra money would be better spent on a bowl gouge or towards a chuck.

The red handled set is better in that some of the tools it comes with are larger than the equivalent white handled set. For example, it comes with a 1 1/8" skew while the other set comes with a 1" skew. Otherwise, unless you like the color red (or white), there's nothing to distinguish between them. The white handled set comes on sale much more often than does the red handled set. That's why I own the white handled tools. Used them tonight. Been using them for 5 years now.

Aaron Wingert
01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Good choice on the 1220vs. I just got one last week. You'll be pleased I'm sure.

andrew zukewycz
01-04-2009, 3:16 AM
just dont buy the cheaper ones... youll be sharpening all the time. they work, but just dont seem to keep an edge very well.

later
zuke

Billy Tallant
01-04-2009, 4:35 AM
James,

Good luck on the vortex... I just got sucked in a few weeks ago. Harbor Freight does have some good deals. I just picked up a 1/2" Drill Chuck MT2 for $9.99 today. I know there are better quality ones out there, but for a the price I couldn't complain. Plus it saved me about $30.00...More money to drop on my pen supplies..