PDA

View Full Version : Crown Tools

Dustin Cranford
01-03-2009, 5:14 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Crown Pro tools? Would like to have the Thompson tools, but budget right now I don't think is going to allow it to happen. I believe Woodcraft sells the Crown tools.

David Walser
01-03-2009, 5:47 PM
Dustin,

Crown is one of the "name" tool brands and is on par with Sorby and the other English makes. Their Pro-PM line uses powdered metallurgy to produce a tool that should hold an edge longer than standard M2 high speed steel. (Thompson uses a powdered metallurgy steel that has vanadium added, which should produce an even longer lasting edge.) Crown produces a quality product and you should not be disappointed with the quality of the tool.

What distinguishes Crown from the other quality brands is the shape of their tools and handles. You may love them or you might prefer another brand. It's very personal and I've not learned a way of predicting what tool will feel the best in someone's hand.

Woodcraft carries Crown, as do most of the major internet turning supply houses, such as CSUSA and Packard.

HTH & good luck!

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2009, 6:03 PM
Dustin - I will agree with David that Crown is one of the major brand names when it comes to tools and their Pro-PM tools are probably the top of their line. I would have to ask which tools you were thinking of as I think Doug Thompson tools are worth considering. The Crown comes with a handle but for the price they want you could make your own handle and be way ahead money wise. Just something to think about.

Jim Kountz
01-03-2009, 6:14 PM
Id have to look again but arent the Thompson tools a little cheaper than the PM?? I know you have to make a handle but whoopie right? I have a Thompson detail gouge that I would like to get rid of though. I just cant get along with it for some reason. I know its something Im doing wrong but the darn thing just wants to catch all the time and now Im scared of it so it just sits in the drawer.

Dustin Cranford
01-03-2009, 6:29 PM
Well, thanks to Steve's wisdom I never considered making the handles vs. cost of buying the Crowns. Hmm, maybe I need to rethink my position on this.

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2009, 6:34 PM
I agree with Jim that the Thompson tools are as cheap or cheaper than the Crown's I have seen at Woodcraft. The Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge is cheaper as are the spindle gouges in 3/8" and 1/2". You have to put handles on but that is good practice.

Dave Ogren
01-03-2009, 7:05 PM
Dustin,

Take a look at the Thompson Lathe Tools web site. They have an instructional on making your own handles. Right down to making them out of a piece of pipe and covering it with vinyl. It can't get any cheaper than that I don't think. Good luck and enjoy your turning experience.

Dave Ogren in Asheville, NC

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2009, 7:05 PM
I have some Crown tools. Good tools. I will have some Thompson's in the future.

Don Carter
01-03-2009, 8:18 PM
Dustin:
I have one Thompson detail spindle gouge and so far I am loving it. You can make your own tool handles or you can buy some handles that the blades can be inserted in and held with set screws. I got a handle from Dave Peebles and it allows a 3/8" blade in one end and 1/2" blade in the other. They are a very nice combination and you can use the handle for many blades. Just another option in the myriad of options.

Ken: Welcome back to the USA. When are we gonna hear about the trip or have I just missed it?

All the best.

Don

Aaron Wingert
01-04-2009, 12:19 AM
I started turning with the Crown powdered metal tools that Woodcraft sells and I am incredibly impressed at how well they do hold an edge. I'm sharpening a lot less than I expected to.

William Bachtel
01-04-2009, 8:06 AM
Once you have one of Dougs Thompsons tools you will never look back, go with Dougs.

Ken Glass
01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Dustin,
When I was trying to master the game of "Golf", I went to a custom club maker for advice and for him to do his magic and make me some clubs and a better player. I will always remember his wisdom, and his most famous saying that was: "It aint the Arrow it's the Indian." You might start out with some Benjamins Best or another budget priced set of tools and master them before moving up to the big name brands. I have seen some incredible turnings from some very primitive and low budget tools here at the Creek. Its all about developing skills, and practice is paramount. Having said that, if buying a PM or Thompson tool will bring you confidence, and is in the budget, then go for it...........

Jim Koepke
01-04-2009, 1:46 PM
I'm with Ken on this one.

Before I bought a lathe, I was taking a class at the local school. The instructor told me to buy a few tools before starting class. Bought 3 Sorby turning tools, costly.

After a few weeks, I bought a lathe with some old tools, mostly Craftsman and some made of other old chisels and such.

The less expensive tools work just as good, they may need stone time more often, but even the high priced tools need stone time.

One big difference is the length of the steel and the handles. The Craftsman tools only have about 5 or 6 inches of blade where the Sorby's are about 8 to 10 inches. The handle quality is also better. Some of the tools the previous owner made have handles made from pool cues. The Craftsman handles seem a bit on the short side.

jim

Gary Max
01-04-2009, 5:29 PM
My newest Tool
Pinnacle------Handmade in Sheffield England-----Cryogenic HHS---Made by Crown---this is now Woodcrafts name brand.
I bought a 3/8 Bowl Gouge----$64.99
If you watch they have sets on sale---of course not the day I was shopping.
I bought this as a Christmas gift for myself-----This tool holds a edge.

Dustin Cranford
01-04-2009, 5:44 PM
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I guess I have a decision to make.

Rich Souchek
01-04-2009, 7:26 PM
Dustin,
I like Crown tools, and the 1/2" Pro-Crown bowl guoge is my most used tool rith now. That said, I am going to buy some more of Thompsons gouges soon...
My 2 Crown bowl gouges are the standard I make all my tool handles too now. I like the diameter, shape, and heft (feeling) of their handles. Only thing is on big gouges I like a little more length. On smaller tools the length gets shortened, but the overall shape is the same.
Rich S.

Ron McKinley
01-04-2009, 9:00 PM
Then I'll have two of them. Couldn't do without mine when I'm working on spindle projects. Seriously, if you want to sell it let me know......Ron

Dustin Cranford
01-05-2009, 9:04 AM
Quick question here. If I decide to go with the Thompson tools do I want V or U shaped? Also would a 3/8 and a 1/2 be to large? I am using a Jet Mini so I won't be turning any 20 inch bowl anytime soon.

Tom Steyer
01-05-2009, 5:28 PM
Dustin,

I have 5/8 bowl gouges by Crown (Pro PM), Sorby, and Thompson. I have the Thompson and the Sorby ground alike (Thompson profile), and the Crown ground with a very short bevel for use in bowl bottom final cuts. As far as quality, they are all excellent. Edge holding properties are excellent on the Crown and Thompson - a little less on the Sorby. I think I prefer the V-profile on the Thompson as opposed to the more "U" shape of the Crown and Sorby. I also have a 1/2" Thompson V-profile bowl gouge - this one is my go-too choice for final cuts and smaller bowls, particularly if shear cutting or scraping. For you, I would buy the 1/2" Crown or Thompson v-profile bowl gouge - it will work great for the smaller bowl projects on you lathe.

John Peck
01-05-2009, 6:21 PM
Keep in mind that the sizes of American and English woodturning gouges are different. American gouges are measured by the diameter of the tool (tool rod), while English sizes pertain to sizes of the flutes. A 1/2 inch Thompson gouge is the same as a 3/8 inch English gouge. A 3/8 inch Thompson gouge would be the same as a 1/4 inch English gouge. You have to buy a 5/8 inch Thompson gouge to get the equivalent of a 1/2 inch English gouge (Crown, Sorby, Henry Taylor, Hamlet).

Doug Thompson
01-05-2009, 11:28 PM
On a jet mini the 1/2 diameter will handle anything put on the lathe. Make sure the handle is long enough... about 16 to 20 inches.

When it comes to flute shape follow the professionals who use these tools.

Johannes Michelsen - 3/8V, 1/2V and 5/8V
John Jordan - 1/2V and 5/8V
Bill Grumbine - 5/8V

(Drum roll)
Jimmy Clewes - 3/8V and 1/2V

I think the V shape is hands down winner and my favorite is the 1/2V

Dustin Cranford
01-06-2009, 8:44 AM
Thanks fellas I appreciate everything your helping me with here. Oh, and Doug I guess come payday you will be seeing me standing at the door (Internet store) with a wide open pocket book so to speak.

Hope everyone has a good day.