PDA

View Full Version : Big Door

Mike Null
01-03-2009, 4:27 PM
I was browsing through my hometown newspaper when I came across this article. Thought it might be of interest.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/business/2009/01/03/ddn010309bizbigdoor.html

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 4:29 PM
$160K for a door???? :eek:

WOW!

Matt Meiser
01-03-2009, 4:36 PM
About two years ago my dad and I both did a doubletake as we drove down a road in Indianapolis and passed a sign for a place offered at something like $20M. We looked it up when we got home and it was the former CEO of some insurance company. There was some kind of fraud and the company ended up owning the house. My dad kept checking repeatedly and last I heard it was still for sale. You'd think if you were in the market for that type of house you might save $10M and go for one already built?

David DeCristoforo
01-03-2009, 4:37 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah... So where's the pic? No pic... no door... you know the rules!

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 4:44 PM
Mike,
Your link now just takes us to a registration page!!! Crud:mad:

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-03-2009, 5:04 PM
I would like to see this door installed. With this size difficult to imagine the size of front wall of this house. Wow:confused:

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 5:13 PM
I was able to get back to the article.

Bruce Page
01-03-2009, 5:34 PM
I would like to see this door installed. With this size difficult to imagine the size of front wall of this house. Wow:confused:

Me too.
It's probably not your typical suburban home.

David DeCristoforo
01-03-2009, 5:38 PM
That's better. I've seen this kind of stuff before... you build the whole house on it's side and then stand it up....

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 5:39 PM
That's better. I've seen this kind of stuff before... you build the whole house on it's side and then stand it up....

I just knew you were coming back with a comment like this...

Jim Kountz
01-03-2009, 6:10 PM
Wow thats some big stuff there!! Dewey you are like the king of search engines whats your secret??

Geoff Potter
01-03-2009, 6:37 PM
So, what's the bet on the rough opening for the door being the wrong size?

Bill Houghton
01-03-2009, 6:55 PM
Everyone's always talking about how expensive our houses are out here on the Left Coast - but $30,000,000 for a house in "suburban Indianapolis?" At least you would think they'd locate it somewhere with a little more glamor...like Gary*, or Carbondale, IL, or somewhere like that.

*When I lived back there, Gary was still an industrial center. I drove through it several times when traveling from Michigan to visit old buddies in St. Paul, and never saw the sky the same color twice - baby pink, lavender, never blue. Perhaps it has become a more attractive place to live since then, in which case I apologize to the city and its residents.

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 7:14 PM
Wow thats some big stuff there!! Dewey you are like the king of search engines whats your secret??

I have to tell you I used to be better. Search engines have gotten terrible lately. May there is too much crap on the net but I used to be able to type something like 44th American president into Yahoo and it would bring up the top ten Obama info sites:

If you open up Yahoo now and try this the top one is a blog about there goes the internet... I HATE THAT:mad::mad::mad:

Anyway,
Half is luck the other half is perseverance but even I can't find everything.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkxgM_l9JWPoAKe1XNyoA?p=44th+Americ an+president&y=Search&fr=yfp-t-501-s&ei=UTF-8

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 7:15 PM
Everyone's always talking about how expensive our houses are out here on the Left Coast - but $30,000,000 for a house in "suburban Indianapolis?" At least you would think they'd locate it somewhere with a little more glamor...like Gary*, or Carbondale, IL, or somewhere like that.

*When I lived back there, Gary was still an industrial center. I drove through it several times when traveling from Michigan to visit old buddies in St. Paul, and never saw the sky the same color twice - baby pink, lavender, never blue. Perhaps it has become a more attractive place to live since then, in which case I apologize to the city and its residents.

Do you think it is Manning's house

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 7:16 PM
So, what's the bet on the rough opening for the door being the wrong size?

I don't know but I bet bubba and his crew will cut the opening to fit rather than that $160K door!

John Schreiber
01-03-2009, 9:30 PM
With the econonmy in the tank, this guy can drop that kind of money on a door. Hope he likes it for a long time.

Neal Clayton
01-03-2009, 10:30 PM
i'm reminded of a post on another forum where someone bragged about their new $10k desk, and it turned out the poster lived in bangladesh or some other place where it was more like a $1k desk but inflation made the difference.

for years thereafter when someone posted a "what should i buy" question the initial response was "10k desk".