PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening system for Turning

Norm Koerner
01-03-2009, 2:46 PM
I'm relatively new to turning, at least to the sharpening process. Would y'all recommend the Tru-Grind or Wolverine Stystem? Thanks in advance.

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2009, 3:00 PM
Norm - Welcome to the Creek!

I have the Wolverine system and the Woodcraft slow speed grinder combination and it works great for me! Haven't used the Tru-Grind but highly recommend the Wolverine system!

Allen Schmid
01-03-2009, 3:17 PM
Norm,
Welcome!
I also have the same Wolverine set-up or very similar to what Steve has. Might seem a little costly but the ability to put a great edge on your tools (any and all of them) is consistent. I had been sharpening by hand on a wheel and could not believe the difference. Some will say you can be just as good free hand as with these systems but it takes a lot of time and repetition to get to that point. I'd rather be turning! Now if I can only reach the level that most of these guys have obtained....especially Steve's work!
Good luck and good turning.
Allen

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2009, 3:29 PM
Welcome to SMC Norm. I also have the slow speed grinder and the wolverine jig.

Allen Neighbors
01-03-2009, 3:45 PM
Hear, Hear! I also have the Wolverine, and recommend it, although I have a Delta variable speed grinder (I usually use it on high speed 3450 rpm). I do my skews on a belt sander, that is reversed, to travel away from the edge.
I also made a homemade replica of my Wolverine for travelling, that I use on my Vicmarc VL100.
The Wolverine with the Varigrind is an awesome sharpening system... you won't be sad if you choose it. :D

Gordon Seto
01-03-2009, 3:49 PM
Wolverine and Varigrind.
No to Oneway skew jig (which you don't need) and wheel dresser attachment (which has better choice if you want one).

David Walser
01-03-2009, 3:54 PM
Norm,

I recommend the Tru-Grind over the Wolverine, but the two systems are fairly similar. The primary differences are the Tru-Grind takes up less space, the Tru-Grind has a smaller "cup" for the tool holder to pivot on (which I think makes it more accurate), and the Tru-Grind uses one handle to sharpen virtually all your tools, while the Wolverine system uses one method for sharpening roughing gouges, another for fingernail gouges, and a third for skews. Of these differences, the 1st two are advantages of the Tru-Grind over the Wolverine. The last is merely a difference.

Two differences no longer exist between the two systems: The Wolverine used to have the advantage of an sturdy tool rest that you could use for other grinding tasks, but the Tru-Grind now has a similar tool rest available. The Wolverine used to have a metal flap on it's vari-grind tool holder that could damage your freshly ground edge as you removed the tool from the vari-grind. They've updated the design so it's more similar to the Tru-Grind and nolonger has the metal flap. (You can get an "upgrade" to update older vari-grind tool holders for very little money.)

Having said that, if space is not an issue, I'd buy on price. Both systems are well made and will last forever.

Jim Kountz
01-03-2009, 3:57 PM
+1 for the Wolverine and the varigrind although I made my "wolverine" then bought the varigrind later.

Greg Bender
01-03-2009, 9:18 PM
Norm,
I also have the The Wolverine System with the 8" Slow Speed grinder and a Craftsman high Speed Grinder and also occasionally use a 1" by 30" belt sander with 400 grit belts to touch up my square scraper and skews.I don't believe you can go wrong with either system although I prefer the slow speed grinder.
Greg

Bill Wyko
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I use a Jet wet sharpener. I like that it's extremely slow and makes a very sharp edge.