PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!!

Jim Creech
01-03-2009, 12:46 PM
After months of intense aggravation I finally got my antique computer working somewhat. I had hoped that the Jolly Old Elf would have taken pity and provided a shiny new laptop but this was not to be. (I probably shouldn't have called her an old elf!). I did manage however to acquire a rather nice 1966 Bristol 27 sailboat fully found and ready to sail. Not a wooden boat but a boat none the less. A 13 hour sail from Deltaville Va to Smithfield. An hour into the trip, my only crew got seasick and I ended up pulling a 12 hour turn at the helm. Light north winds and fighting the tides most of the way. A good day.

John Bailey
01-03-2009, 6:07 PM
Right!!

Does anybody see any pictures!!;)

John

Jim Creech
01-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Pics are coming as soon as I figure out how to post em. Not being a computerite I sometimes have difficulty working these (expletive deleted) things!

Keith Outten
01-04-2009, 7:09 AM
Comrade,

Congratulations on the new boat!
I could go for some sailing lessons if you need an inexperienced crew member :)
If you need a puter just let me know, I have a really nice PC here in the shop office that you can have, in fact I have one with Linux and one with Windows...take your pick.
Both are 2 gigahertz machines.

Mike Null
01-04-2009, 7:44 AM
Congratulations on the new boat. You'll have just enough time to round her out to "Bristol" condition before Spring.

Smooth sailing.

Angus Hines
01-04-2009, 8:52 AM
Let me know if you need any experienced help Jim I'm just around the corner. Where you keeping her?

Jim Creech
01-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Dang Vern,
I figured an old PT boter from Bull Island would know how to handle a sailboat!!! You have an open invite whenever you want. I may also take you up on the puter offer. I can type faster than my puter can can display and you know how fast I can type! Boat is at Browns Marina in Rescue, Va. You are also welcome Angus!

Angus Hines
01-05-2009, 8:00 AM
Thanks Jim

Rumor has it that you are still using a computer that you screwed to a piece of plywood.:eek:

Keith Outten
01-05-2009, 8:08 AM
Jim,

A PT Boat doesn't have any sails, doesn't need wind and there is a head onboard. I have been spoiled :)

Anytime on the computer, just let me know when we can get together or call me so we can schedule.

Jim Creech
01-05-2009, 9:28 AM
There is more truth to that rumor than you know! I recall a time when ol' Keith made a computer out of discarded parts using a cardboard box as a case. Money was tight and times were hard!!

lowell holmes
01-08-2009, 2:09 PM
I leased a Bristol 27 one summer in 67. I had half use of it for a nominal monthly fee. I really enjoyed the boat. I was a newby at the time. It is a solid boat and will be under you when others have let you down.

Aaron Koehl
01-18-2009, 2:39 PM
Congrats Jim.. I can't wait for spring/summer sailing season to start up.