PDA

View Full Version : Panel Cutting Sled Question

Sue Wise
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I need to make a panel cutting sled for my table saw. I have seen that some recommend the fence in front and others the fence in the back. Any thoughts on fence placement for cross-cutting ply and other sheet goods?

Thanks,

-Sue

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Sue,
for my own taste I like the fence to be in a position the opposes the blade. Since the blade it spinning toward you I like the fence on the back. I just feel safer when there is something between me and those sharp spinning teeth.

In theory and I am not sure if one is safer than the other but when I have a choice on two methods and can't figure out which is safer I always go with the one I am more comfortable with.

Think about this as for pros and cons:
If the panel is so wide you can't place it against the back fence and still have enough sled on the table the front fence may be able to saw wider panels but then again if it is that wide maybe the sled it not the safest way to cut it in the first place.

Sorry for turning into a safety thing but there are clearly some safety considerations.

Scot Ferraro
01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
For large panels I like the fence on the back and leave the front open -- you can increase your width this way. I can handle 4 foot wide crosscuts with no problem. It is also helpful to add another piece of wood the same thickness as the bottom of the sled to catch the cut-off and you can place it close to the blade -- just make sure you secure it to your TS first. For smaller sized work pieces, I think that a regular crosscut sled works better.

Scot

Robert Meyer
01-03-2009, 12:50 PM
[quote=Sue Wise;1008246]I need to make a panel cutting sled for my table saw. I have seen that some recommend the fence in front and others the fence in the back. Any thoughts on fence placement for cross-cutting ply and other sheet goods?

I like having both a front and rear face on my crosscut sled. It seems to stabilize the two runners keeping them aligned and never pinching the blade. My sled will crosscut a timber up to 25 1/2" wide and if I were to need a greater width I would probably use my circular saw with a fine tooth blade or build the big crosscut sled recently featured in FWW that has a support horse on the right side.

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 1:17 PM
[quote=Sue Wise;1008246]I need to make a panel cutting sled for my table saw. I have seen that some recommend the fence in front and others the fence in the back. Any thoughts on fence placement for cross-cutting ply and other sheet goods?

I like having both a front and rear face on my crosscut sled. It seems to stabilize the two runners keeping them aligned and never pinching the blade. My sled will crosscut a timber up to 25 1/2" wide and if I were to need a greater width I would probably use my circular saw with a fine tooth blade or build the big crosscut sled recently featured in FWW that has a support horse on the right side.

Rob,
Nice cross cut sled but Sue is talking about a panel sled like this one:

Joe Chritz
01-03-2009, 1:26 PM
I jsut use a cross cut sled and built one that handles panels up to about 30" in width. I found any more than that and it gets "tippy" and the beginning of the cut.

In looking at the panel sled design (runner on one side and one fence) I really don't see any benefit either way. Perhaps you can get a wider panel with a back fence but the sled would still have to be fairly wide to make it work, otherwise you run out of runner before you run out of panel.

I would suggest making a couple of different sizes since they are easy to do. My crosscut is a bit heavy and bulky and one that did just 24" and under would be nice and is on the list of stuff to do.

If I didn't have a SCMS that did almost 12" I would have a sled at 12", 24" and 36".

Joe

Joe Scharle
01-03-2009, 3:18 PM
This sled is 30" deep (shown squaring a table top). The fence is at the front so that the work can meet the blade while still not fully on the saw top. It has a single Incra miter (adjustable).

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/Fly_Leaf_Table_3_1.JPG

Jim Kountz
01-03-2009, 3:49 PM
Dang Joe when I first glanced at that picture I thought that table top was your crosscut sled! Talk about a nice one!!

Stephen Edwards
01-03-2009, 4:35 PM
What is the technical name for the hold down clamps that you use on your sled and where does one buy them? Thanks for your time.

This sled is 30" deep (shown squaring a table top). The fence is at the front so that the work can meet the blade while still not fully on the saw top. It has a single Incra miter (adjustable).

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/Fly_Leaf_Table_3_1.JPG

Greg Hines, MD
01-03-2009, 4:53 PM
I like having the fence to the back. I think it is a personal choice, however. Try it both ways if you like, and some of them that span the whole table do have two fences, though most people only use the rear fence.

Doc

Andrew Nemeth
01-03-2009, 4:58 PM
You can find them at woodcraft and rockler. I don't know the exact name (maybe just a hold-down clamp or a toggle clamp) they usually have them with their workholding stuff. I would bet McMaster Carr would have them too.

Drew Eckhardt
01-03-2009, 5:00 PM
What is the technical name for the hold down clamps that you use on your sled and where does one buy them? Thanks for your time.

Toggle clamps.

Your favorite wood working shop (rockler, woodcraft, woodpeckers, etc.) stocks them

Dewey Torres
01-03-2009, 5:08 PM
Toggle clamps.

Your favorite wood working shop (rockler, woodcraft, woodpeckers, etc.) stocks them

Harbor Freight also sells them now and I ordered some. Hard to tell the difference besides price and they are just a slight bit more loosely made but work great.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=toggle&Submit=Go

Joe Scharle
01-03-2009, 5:31 PM

Toggle clamps. Among other sources is Peach Tree www.ptreeusa.com .
Recently got an on-sale email.

Joe Scharle
01-03-2009, 5:33 PM
Dang Joe when I first glanced at that picture I thought that table top was your crosscut sled! Talk about a nice one!!

Veneering is too hard for a jig! At least for me!

Ben Abate
01-03-2009, 7:13 PM
Hi guys,

the technical name for the clamps are De Sta Co clamps... that is the company that claims the fame to inventing or at least the largest manufacture of them. Google them and you'll come up with a host of places to purchase them.

Joe, I forgot to mention that is a very nice looking panel you have there.... nice work

Ben

Steve Clardy
01-03-2009, 8:08 PM

Yes. I also thought......wow :eek::D

Stephen Edwards
01-03-2009, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the clamps folks. I think I'll try the HF ones to begin with. If they aren't any good, I ain't out much! Looks like one of those those HF items that might actually do what it's advertised to do.

Thanks again.

Greg Hines, MD
01-03-2009, 9:31 PM
I would also second having a second piece on the other side of the blade, to catch your fall-off. My own has a miter bar, and a lip on the front, so that it holds itself to the table, and it gives nearly zero clearance.

Doc

Stephen Edwards
01-03-2009, 10:14 PM
That's a great idea, Doc...........having the lip on the second piece.

I would also second having a second piece on the other side of the blade, to catch your fall-off. My own has a miter bar, and a lip on the front, so that it holds itself to the table, and it gives nearly zero clearance.

Doc

Greg Hines, MD
01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
That's a great idea, Doc...........having the lip on the second piece.

I will get the camera out tomorrow and show you my set-up if you like. My panel cutter rides on the right side of the blade, and the cut-off catcher is to the left. It can be used with the saw guard that came with my saw, though I do not use it, preferring a Microsplitter.

Doc

Sue Wise
01-04-2009, 8:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I started building it last night. I have the runner for the miter slot and the ply cut. Today, I will mill the fence. I am going to place the fence in the back with a few of the toggle clamps. (Which I know I already have around the shop if I can find them.)

Another thing that I must do is build some sort of something for storing my sleds. A couple weeks ago, I build a small cross cut sled. I love it, but I don't really have a place to store it yet, so I am constantly moving it around the shop when I need to use whatever work surface it is sitting on.

Brian Penning
01-04-2009, 9:25 AM
Probably too late but I like Norm's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFOX9kUKm4

Sue Wise
01-04-2009, 9:37 AM
No, not too late. I have watched that video several times. But after consideration, I will first try it with the fence in the back. If I don't like it, I can always move the fence.

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I started building it last night. I have the runner for the miter slot and the ply cut. Today, I will mill the fence. I am going to place the fence in the back with a few of the toggle clamps. (Which I know I already have around the shop if I can find them.)

Another thing that I must do is build some sort of something for storing my sleds. A couple weeks ago, I build a small cross cut sled. I love it, but I don't really have a place to store it yet, so I am constantly moving it around the shop when I need to use whatever work surface it is sitting on.

Sue,
Does you sled stand up on its own? If so store it under your saw. If not you could drill some hole in the platform with a Forstner bit and hang it on the wall (pegs or what ever you can think of). Not sure if you even have that much room on the wall either.

Sue Wise
01-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I was thinking about a small cabinet under the extension table with open slots. The saw does have a large mobile base under the saw and extension table, but I could still fit something under there. I would need something for 3 or 4 sleds and my miter gauge and fence.

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I was thinking about a small cabinet under the extension table with open slots. The saw does have a large mobile base under the saw and extension table, but I could still fit something under there. I would need something for 3 or 4 sleds and my miter gauge and fence.

Do you have a pic?