PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Room Update

Byron Trantham
06-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Well Phase 2 of three is finished. Thought I would show you how it's coming along. :p

The third and last phase is started. It is the sewing surface proper. There are 31 drawers in that puppy. There are three pedestals that will support a 30" by 8' top. Each end of the top will have a piano hinge supporting a fold-able 24" side "wing" that can be moved moved into place when needed giving an overall length of 12'! I've gone through about two - 250' rolls of edge banding. :eek:

Steve Clardy
06-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Kinda what I have in mind for my wifes sewing and rug making room that is included in my new shop addition. Maybe not quite as fantastic as yours, but similar. Lots of work there. Steve

Jerry Olexa
06-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Excellent! You must be professional sewing people as weell as woodworkers!

Great job!

Tyler Howell
06-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Steve,

That's a "whole-lot-a-closeness". Are you sure you want SWMBO next to your play sh..... ah, Work shop??:p

Nice Job Bryon, Very nice!;)

Jim Becker
06-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Outstanding, Byron. The LOYL is pretty lucky to have her own custom cabinetmaker "on-prem"!!

Byron Trantham
06-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Steve - Thanks for noticing the work. It seems like I have forgotten what wood is! :D She's worth it though.

Jerry - Yea, she has more in her sewing machines than I have in whole shop! :eek: One of them is $5.4K. The darn thing is like a CNC machine. Go to your computer, make your design, copy it to a floppy, load it in the machine and let'er rip. It tells you when you have to change color, stitch patters, etc. :cool: Most of her software (ea package) costs more than my 13" DeWalt planer! The up side to this is I get what I want. :D

Tyler - not really. I moved her two flights up and to the other end of the house! :D We use the Motorola "Talk Abouts" to communicate... :D :D

Jim - Being able to cut wood has turned into a full time job - for Her! :D

The last phase is the most complicated of the bunch. I have to figure how to provide power to all three pedestals without it interrupting the work surface and still "keep it out of sight". :confused:

Todd Burch
06-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Byron, that has GOT to be a seamstress's dream room! Very nice! Nice and bright and cleanable. Is she going to label all the drawers? I would lose items in that room! The project is going nicely.

Todd

Frank Pellow
06-20-2004, 1:16 PM
Looking good!

My next big project after I complete my workshop will be to upgrade our sewing room. When that time comes, I certainly can look to what you have done for inspiration.

Byron Trantham
06-20-2004, 1:52 PM
Todd - Is she going to label all the Drawers? Does a bear...... :D

She is so excited. I just accepted two (paying) jobs and she is just asked me if I was going to keep working on hers... :rolleyes: I asked her if she had the money for 31 pairs of rollers, two more sheets of 3/4, one sheet of 1/2" and two sheets of 1/4"! I'm working on the two jobs. :rolleyes:

I'll be glad when this one is over. :o

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Very nice, Byron. I will have to show the LOML this and see what she thinks! However, she manages to work on a couple of small table tops tossed on top of a pair of sawhorses...bless her! :)

Did I miss the phase 1 posting?

Dan Mages
06-21-2004, 1:22 PM
Very nice job! It looks like she has everything to upolster your projects.

Dan

Arvin Brown
06-22-2004, 3:29 PM
I know my wife would love one of these - so would I. My workshop is in the basement, approx 15'x15', no a/c. My wifes sewing room is a converted upstairs bedroom, approx 15'x20', complete with a walk in closest and full bath. Recently she has taken over the sunroom (approx 15' x 20' on the main floor (even has a fireplace). What ever happened to equality in a marriage?????! Don't come back with that woodworking machines are more expensive. She has four sewing machines - the most expensive at over $4,000. My care isn't even worth that. But I guess if it makes her happy (and then ultimately me happy) it's worth every penny!

Byron Trantham
06-22-2004, 4:21 PM
I know my wife would love one of these - so would I. My workshop is in the basement, approx 15'x15', no a/c. My wifes sewing room is a converted upstairs bedroom, approx 15'x20', complete with a walk in closest and full bath. Recently she has taken over the sunroom (approx 15' x 20' on the main floor (even has a fireplace). What ever happened to equality in a marriage?????! Don't come back with that woodworking machines are more expensive. She has four sewing machines - the most expensive at over $4,000. My care isn't even worth that. But I guess if it makes her happy (and then ultimately me happy) it's worth every penny!
You telling me? She has a Husvarna D1 that costs $5400! A Husvarna serger that costs $1800 and another Viking that's about 20 years old and running strong. Believe me those three machines costs more than ALL my tools combined! :mad: She has a crafts room that has more supplies in it than our local Michaels. Now she has the sewing room. Equal? I don't think so, but hey, who's driving the boat? Certainly not me! :D