PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 10" Wet Sharpener update.

Bryan Berguson
01-03-2009, 9:39 AM
First of all, a little bit of criticism for Grizzly. It doesn't come with a stone truer of any kind. If this is your first purchase of any kind of wet sharpener, you really need one. My wheel was not perfectly round out of the box and without a way to make it round, the sharpener is pretty worthless. So Grizzly, raise the price if you have to but include a truing device. There, with that said...:o

I ordered a Tormek diamond truer from Woodcraft. Had a coupon for $5 off on $50 or more and they still had free shipping so my total price was $70.99. I received it yesterday and was able to use it last night and make my stone round. It worked as advertised and I was able to now use the sharpener for it's intended purpose.

I had 3 badly beat up "construction" chisels that I thought I'd try and bring back from the dead. I was just testing and set the angle by eye knowing I couldn't hurt these things any more than they were. After a little grinding, I got the honing paste out and put some on the leather wheel so I hone a little. Not that these needed to be that sharp but I was curious and playing so what the heck.....

Now the test. Were they sharp? :eek: OH MY GOSH! :eek: They weren't sharp, they were SCARY SHARP. At least compared to what they were and my expectations. I didn't try to shave with them but they easily sliced through a sheet of paper. (that was always my test for knives) I'm going to play around a little more and then try my Marples chisels.

So far, (and I'm not very far ;)) I'm happy with the Grizzly. It's solid, the motor is robust and smooth, and it sharpens. I'm happy that I can now get my tools sharpened easier! :) Next purchase will be a Tormek Planer Knife jig...

Thumbs up for the Grizzly Wet Sharpener!

Bryan

Jacob Mac
01-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on this sytem for a few months. Seems like I need to add $80 to the original price if I want to buy this system.

Bryan Berguson
01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on this sytem for a few months. Seems like I need to add $80 to the original price if I want to buy this system.

Yep, don't know how you can get around it. It's not usable unless the stone is round. I see the catalog price is $189 now too. I picked mine up in the Muncy store for $159.

Bryan

John Shuk
01-03-2009, 1:20 PM
I've been waiting for feedback on this. Thanks for taking the time.