PDA

View Full Version : Mini-gloat

Chris Schumann
01-03-2009, 9:09 AM
I just got a Wilton 12.5" planer for $100. It's only a mini-gloat because anyone who got up early and stood in line got one as well. Rockler had them on sale for that price, with at least 10 per store. My Rockler had 10, but it's a pretty small store.

Now I just have to wait for the weather to warm up my gara--- my shop.

If any other local creekers got one (or have one, or another planer), we should get together and make some long feed tables.

Phil Harding
01-03-2009, 9:20 AM
I went to the Milwaukee Rockler to get the stock feeder they were selling for $99. I arrived at 6:45 for an advertised 7:00 AM store opening. I expected there would be a crowd and there was - some people had been waiting since 5:00 AM. Well, much to our surprise most of the best deals (stock feeder, planer, and jointer for sure) were already sold out. Apparantly this Rockler decided to take reservations over the telephone starting last Thursday even though the advertisment clearly stated the sale started today. Needless to say there were more than a few really pissed customers.:mad:

-- Phil

Phil Thien
01-03-2009, 9:29 AM
I went to the Milwaukee Rockler to get the stock feeder they were selling for $99. I arrived at 6:45 for an advertised 7:00 AM store opening. I expected there would be a crowd and there was - some people had been waiting since 5:00 AM. Well, much to our surprise most of the best deals (stock feeder, planer, and jointer for sure) were already sold out. Apparantly this Rockler decided to take reservations over the telephone starting last Thursday even though the advertisment clearly stated the sale started today. Needless to say there were more than a few really pissed customers.:mad:

-- Phil

They're just hooking up their buddies with the goods. I've had the same complaint when they've put BB plywood on sale in the past.

Tim Malyszko
01-03-2009, 9:51 AM
Good to hear you got the planer. I was seriously thinking about getting up this morning to fetch the $99 feeder, but the pain of getting to the store and them being sold out outweighed the savings on a so-so feeder.

Enjoy the new planer.

Chris Schumann
01-03-2009, 9:58 AM
Perhaps the 14* weather kept some people away... but I got there 35 minutes early, and there were already 10 people in line. The store manager was awesome and made cards for the jointer, compressor kit, the feeder and the planer.

So not only did she ensure that all units got to regular customers, they went to customers who were in line, and she limited people to one of each big item, even though that limit was not in the ad.

Kudos to Mindy.

And Phil, I'd write to Rockler HQ here in Minnesota about your store manager. Maybe they'll just say that the stores are franchises that are independently owned, but I'm still sure they'd like to know how their customers are being treated.

Russell Tribby
01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I managed to pick up one of the feeders. I got to the store around 5:50 and there were 7 people in front of me. By the time they opened the doors at 7 there were at least 60 people in line. Echoing another post, this store had cards made up as well for the most sought after items.

Thomas Prondzinski
01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Got the feeder at the Burnsville MN store. I was 3 rd in line and I arrived at 5:00 am. One of the guys that were in line was giving out numbers so we could stay in the car until 6:40 am. Doors opened at 7 and they had cards at the door for what you were looking for. Kudos to the Burnsville Rockler staff who made this a pleasant experience.

Tom

Tim Malyszko
01-03-2009, 9:26 PM
I'm curious to hear how the feeder works out. I've always wanted one.

John Bush
01-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I was 12th in line at 5:45. No numbers outside but they had item cards as you entered and I did score on the feeder. I did buy several other items just to compensate for their kindness in giving me such a great deal on the feeder. Gee, think that's what they had in mind?? It was interesting that most of the folks waiting in line were beginning to moderate WWers and were excited about all the good deals. Good marketing for Rockler and nice to see all the new interest in the craft. I'm guessing 25% were women. Lots of stuff was heading out the door. I helped load 5 Delta jointers.

Now the big question: How do you mount the feeder without tapping into the CI top. I want to use it primarily on the TS for ripping bevel cuts on long stock, and thought it may help flattening bigger stuff on the jointer, too. I plan on attaching to a 3/4" MDF (with melamine) base and clamping to the table somewhere. Any suggestions from those with feeder experience??

Thanks, JCB.