PDA

View Full Version : Tall steel cabinet?

Jason White
01-03-2009, 8:51 AM
I'm shopping around for a tall, steel cabinet to house glue, finishes, solvents, paints, etc. Something made entirely of steel and lockable.

The big-box stores have them for $300 on up, but that's a little steep for me.

Anybody know of any bargains to be had?

Jason

Ted Calver
01-03-2009, 9:10 AM
Sams Club has a pretty sturdy one for $189

Michael Gibbons
01-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm with Ted. Or try Costco. Seems pretty nice though the SWMBO wouldn't let me get one yet.....

Duncan Horner
01-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Hmmmm, tall steel cabinet, cheapish...

I'm feeling old fridge, definitely old fridge, with a hasp for a padlock...

Steve Vaughn
01-03-2009, 1:07 PM
We have a local used office furniture store that usually has stuff for reasonable prices. You might also try Craig's list.

Steve

Paul Ryan
01-03-2009, 1:17 PM
A buddy of mine has 2 of them from sams club. He paid $99 a piece for them, but they are nothing to brag about. They are fairly sturdy once loaded, but the steel cabinets from sears are much better. The sears ones are 3 times the money too.

Thomas Bank
01-03-2009, 1:50 PM
I picked up a couple from an office I worked at that was remodeling. Ask around with friends and neighbors and you might turn something up.

Bruce Page
01-03-2009, 3:01 PM
Check the salvage yards in your area. You can sometimes pick up an industrial cabinet for a song. I picked up a heavy duty steel cabinet, 84”x36”x18”deep with 5 shelves for $65 and it even had the keys. (see my video in the workshops forum)
I have even seen the fireproof cabinets for fairly cheap.

Steve Clardy
01-03-2009, 3:04 PM
Old school lockers maybe?

Pat O'malley
01-03-2009, 3:06 PM
I also got mine for free from a office that was closing, they are very heavy duty...

Myk Rian
01-03-2009, 3:45 PM
Look around for a cheapie gun cabinet. My neighbor gave me one a couple years ago.

Jeff Stempien
01-03-2009, 3:58 PM
Staples has them for $199 or better yet try Lowes look for Coleman brand garage cabinets they are beautiful not metal and are around the same price. I found 2 on Craigslist, but they go fast!

Matt Meiser
01-03-2009, 4:39 PM
I'll second the recommendation for used office furniture. I bought a nice HON commercial grade cabinet for a little over $100 that meets all your criteria and is much better built than anything sold at a place like Sams, Staples, Office Max, etc.

David G Baker
01-03-2009, 5:30 PM
State auctions, college auctions, and school district sales have many metal cabinets. With all of the financial issues going on many educational facilities are no longer supporting shop classes. At some of the auctions and sales they actually have the fire cabinets specifically designed for flammable items. Some have auto closing doors in case of a fire. This type of cabinet costs a lot if purchased retail. They are quite heavy and the general public does not want to deal with the issues involved in moving them so they generally go for a very reasonable price.
There is a local college that has sales almost every month and many times they have had the fire proof cabinets and almost every time they have the standard metal storage cabinets that are reasonably priced. The cabinets are not the lower quality cabinets that are found in the standard office supply type stores.
Check the Internet for local state auctions.

Ryan Baker
01-03-2009, 8:21 PM
I was recently looking for the same thing. Most of the low-cost cabinets from office supply places and such are very thin and cheap. I ended up getting one of the new garage-storage cabinets from the line Sears just brought out. They were reasonably priced (don't remember the cost exactly), and come disassembled which makes moving much easier.

If you can find something used or at auction, that's great and can be a good deal -- if you can wait for something to pop up.

Gene Michael
01-03-2009, 11:37 PM
there have been several recent posts in the shop section about how to keep paints from freezaing in the winter - use an old fridge with no compressor and wire the light to stay on. adding some type of lock wouldn't be very difficult.