PDA

View Full Version : DP Table Plans?

Russ Filtz
06-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Anyone have any decent add-on table plans w/fence, etc. for a JET DP? Saw one at Rockler, but it's $100 :eek: Looks pretty simple to build as I have some T-track for the table, and angle iron for a fence support. Didn't want to blatantly hang around and sketch it at the store :D Would you use some Baltic ply for the table base, or are there better materials. I assume it's better to laminate with laminate :D to make it slick?

Jim Becker
06-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Don't worry about plans, Russ. This is a project that you should be able to sketch out pretty quickly and have-at-it. My DP table is 24" wide by 18" deep and made of baltic birch ply. (two layers of 1/2" material laminated) The fence was made from scrap oak and uses some t-bolts in routed tee-slots. The area under the bit is a replaceable area that sets in a recess drilled into the top. It's an easy one-day project if you have all your materials assembled and ready to go. A DP table is also a great add-on to your tool as DP tables really were made more appropriate for metal working rather than woodworking.

Dave Sweeney
06-20-2004, 12:39 PM
A drill press table is pretty simple to put together and you don't need to invest much in one either. I made my 18x32 table out of scrap I had laying around. I started out by glueing two pieces of cut to size 5/8" MDF together. Put in two t-tracks and made a fence and border out of oak. For the finish on the MDF I put on 3 coats of sanding sealer and then 3 coats of poly. Total cost can't be much over $25 including t-bolts, knobs, and hold down clamps.

Charles McKinley
06-20-2004, 9:28 PM
A drill press table is pretty simple to put together and you don't need to invest much in one either. I made my 18x32 table out of scrap I had laying around. I started out by glueing two pieces of cut to size 5/8" MDF together. Put in two t-tracks and made a fence and border out of oak. For the finish on the MDF I put on 3 coats of sanding sealer and then 3 coats of poly. Total cost can't be much over $25 including t-bolts, knobs, and hold down clamps.

Hi Russ,

The current issue of WOOD Magazine has plans for a DP Table on page 52.

Russ Filtz
06-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Great! Thanks for the info all.