PDA

View Full Version : spindle sander recomendation??

chris ormsby
01-03-2009, 8:18 AM
I did a bunch of little heirloom toys for the kids for christmas, and found a need for a orbital spindle sander. Any suggestions would be great. I have $150 in sears gift cards, but they only have one for $200. I haven't purchased anything from there in years. I don't have room for anything other than benchtop.

Stephen Edwards
01-03-2009, 9:04 AM
I did a bunch of little heirloom toys for the kids for christmas, and found a need for a orbital spindle sander. Any suggestions would be great. I have $150 in sears gift cards, but they only have one for $200. I haven't purchased anything from there in years. I don't have room for anything other than benchtop.

I know that most people paint HF tools with a broad brush and don't seem to want any of their power tools. This one is an exception, IMHO:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95088

It appears to be identical, except for the color scheme, to this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=411901&FamilyID=21065

I bought the HF one on sale and with a $10 off coupon for $90. It's done everything I need a OSS to do in my small shop. DC is excellent, too. I'm very pleased with mine and quite amazed at the fit, finish and performance.

For the small shop, making small items....in my opinion, it's the best value for the money.

Good luck on your quest to find an OSS that will meet your needs in your price range!

Regards,

Roger Newby
01-03-2009, 9:18 AM
I got the Wilton brand from amazon.com and am happy with it. Also SMC members get a discount.:D

chris ormsby
01-03-2009, 9:24 AM
hf just opened a retail store 10 min from my house. If it is the same as triton, I love my experience with my triton router.

Stephen Edwards
01-03-2009, 9:31 AM
hf just opened a retail store 10 min from my house. If it is the same as triton, I love my experience with my triton router.

Go check it out if it's that nearby. It might just be the ticket for you! For your $150 bucks you can get the sander and several packs of different grit sleeves. I think it comes with one 6pack.....don't remember what grit.

Rich Enders
01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
There was a thread on this about two weeks ago, and most of the votes went for the Ridgid.

Joe Chritz
01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
The Ridgid with the belt and spindle is a nice little unit but a bit above $150. I like the one I have been using. It even does cabinet door edges if you are careful.

There are lots of time that oscillating belt is very handy but if you can't swing that taking the HF unit at under $100 could be just the deal for you.

Joe

Dewayne Reding
01-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Love my Ridgid. I looked at the cheaper ones. I would say they are a good bargain if they meet two criteria.

1. The sanding sleeve stays secure like it does on the Ridgid
2. Dust control is good. The Ridgid, while not perfect, takes only a couple seconds to clean up if you remove the vacuum hose and tidy up the top.

My only knock on the Ridgid. I wish it would accept a larger diameter spindle. It seems to have the power necessary to drive a bit bigger spindle.

scott spencer
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Before spending $150 on an OSS only, I'd look to spend $200 for the Ridgid EB4424 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Ridgid_One_World_Technologies_Inc_Oscillating_Edge _Belt_Spindle_Sander/content_427638034052)combo oscillating belt sander/OSS.

Ryan Baker
01-03-2009, 8:28 PM
I have the benchtop Jet and I love it. That's one of my favorite tools. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 1:11 AM
+1 for the Ridgid...

Step 1) Get it (put it on a credit card)

Step 2) save the receipt and packing

Step 3) Try it

Step 4) Evaluation

Step 5) Either use receipt and UPC for registration or take it back and start over with something else. Since you used your CC they will put it all back. No harm vs the trips to HD.

I was VERY skeptical but this thing is a WONDER MACHINE! The fact that you are doing small work only reinforces its need for consideration.

Also,
The thing is very close to "ready to go" right out of the box. Prob 10 min setup.:)

Rick Fisher
01-04-2009, 4:24 AM
The latest Fine Woodworking tool edition rated the Ridgid as the best value and the best overall.

Mike Wellner
01-04-2009, 4:39 AM
I have the Ridgid, I recommend it

James Manning
01-04-2009, 9:18 AM
I vote for the Triton, I bought it 10% off at WC, very powerful little machine and great dust collection hooked up to my festool vac.:)

1. quiet

2. powerful

3. great dc

4. Nice spindle assortment

Lorne Steed
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Here is another vote for the Ridgid . It is a very rugged machine and I have used it in my shop for the past year quite extensively and have not noticed anything that I don't really like about it. It has a fabulous warranty as well if you register online at the Ridgid site. The one thing I find most useful is the fact that the table tilts- its very hard to find anything comparable at this price range so its best to find the extra money somewhere and get a machine that will do the job for a long while rather than settle for second best because of price only to have to buy again later.

Lori Kleinberg
01-04-2009, 2:20 PM
The Rigid is great

paul dyar
01-04-2009, 7:32 PM
I have had the Rigid for a year, and am well pleased with it. It is 2 sanders in one.
Paul Dyar

Paul Ryan
01-04-2009, 7:52 PM
Chris

Try this link it is for CPO Ridgid tools, they have a reconditioned EB4424 for $159. Other wise do a google search for ZREB4424.

http://www.cpoprotools.com/products/zreb4424.html?ref=googaw&kw=%7Bkeyword%7D

Shipps for the best price too........ FREE!!!

chris ormsby
01-07-2009, 8:35 PM
I'm glad I haven't had time to get to the HF store. I haven't been on line in a couple days. With this info, and I'm seeing a rigid in my future. Thanks for all the input.

Don Bullock
01-07-2009, 9:32 PM
I'm glad I haven't had time to get to the HF store. I haven't been on line in a couple days. With this info, and I'm seeing a rigid in my future. Thanks for all the input.

Great choice!;):D

Myk Rian
01-07-2009, 9:47 PM
You'll be happy with the Ridgid. Very versatile. I like mine.

Bill Huber
01-07-2009, 9:57 PM

You will lover the Ridgid sander, it is one of the most used tools in my shop. I have had it for over a year with no problems at all.

Some people talk about the bearings needing to be lubed in the belt sander unit bu the bearings in mine are sealed and I have had no problems.

I would order 1 or 2 cleaning sticks, they work very well and you can also turn the belt over and use the top which is used very little on mine. With the cleaning stick and turning the belt over the belts last a good while.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5518&filter=sanding%20belts%20cleaner