PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying the new Steel City Cabinet saw how about owner feedback.

Dale Morris
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I am seriously thinking about the new steel City 3hp cab saw with the quick change riving knife does any on have experience with it? I the granite top worth the money?

Brian Effinger
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
I have the 1-3/4 hp version, and I like it. The granite top is very slick, and since it is a basement workshop, I don't have to worry about it rusting. The riving knife is nice, but the attachement is not as elegant as the sawstop or the powermatic 2000. Their customer service is top notch too, just give them a call. Overall, this is a great saw and should be a welcome addition to any shop.

John Thompson
01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
I demo'ed machines for Steel City at the International WW Fair in Atlanta last August, Dale. I have a Steel City 5 HP with cast iron top but I do have the granite fence on my 8" jointer. I field tested that fence right after it was introduced 2 years ago.

The TS you speak of is a good saw... the granite is extremely flat and will stay that way.. and it won't rust. Very dependable and customer service at Steel City in Murfreesboro, TN. is top notch. If you have any personal questions on that TS.. ask as I know it relatively well.

BTW... a phenolic ZCI is now available and is being made by my Leecrarft up the street from me in Gainesville, Georgia. Lee produces excellent inserts if you don't feel like making your own.

Sarge..

Paul Ryan
01-03-2009, 1:14 AM
Dale

I have the saw you are thinking about buying. I bought it this spring and have used it a fair amount lately. Check out this thread I posted a review about the saw a few weeks back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98956

Since this post I have done some more cutting with the saw in some really large pieces of dense woods. I cut some 10/4 elm with the saw which is about the same hardness as red oak, and some more 8/4 white oak. I used a freud 40 tooth combo blade that is thin kerf and it cut those woods like butter. I really think the SC blade that comes with the saw is just a very average blade. I am wondering if I should even have it resharpend or just retire it to the miter saw. But I really like the saw and I cannot say enough good things about the granite top. If you have a shop that rusts other tools, buy the granite top. For the extra $50 it will save that in rust protectants the 1st year. If rust is not a concern of yours then I would go with the cast iron. There is just so many more acessory options for saws with cast tops. But it is a real nice tool. Another option would be to look at Grizzly's new riving knife table saws. They run a little less $ if you don't need them delivered, and should be equal to the SC, but grainte is not available.

Randy Rose
01-03-2009, 9:13 AM
I have the 1-3/4 hp version, and I like it..

Same here.

Ted Shrader
01-03-2009, 9:31 AM
Dale -

I can vouch for the customer service at Steel City - First Rate! They actually answer the phone, there is no big menu that says "press 1 for . . . " , etc.

Don't have the TS, so I can't address that. My experience is with an 8" jointer. Was supposed to have a built in mobile base - it didn't. They offered an after market base (overnight shipping) or a whole new jointer and base as the solution - my choice.

And thanks to Sarge for consulting during the initial "brand" decision making process. He knows of what he speaks.

Regards,
Ted

John Thompson
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Dale -

I can vouch for the customer service at Steel City - First Rate! They actually answer the phone, there is no big menu that says "press 1 for . . . " , etc.

Don't have the TS, so I can't address that. My experience is with an 8" jointer. Was supposed to have a built in mobile base - it didn't. They offered an after market base (overnight shipping) or a whole new jointer and base as the solution - my choice.

And thanks to Sarge for consulting during the initial "brand" decision making process. He knows of what he speaks.

Regards,
Ted

He knows of what he speaks... Ted

Please PM Ted.. I will give you my phone #.. Call it and ask for Lisa. Convince her of that and good luck... :D

Thanks as I was just having my morning fun before she makes me go down-stairs to the shop. I get no respect. ha.. ha...

Sarge..

Paul Ryan
01-03-2009, 2:30 PM
Dale

The grizzly saws I was refering too are the G0690 and G0691 models. There are not on their web site yet but in their catalog. If you are interested in those I would give grizzly a call and ask for a catalog. Find out why there are not on the web site yet too.