PDA

View Full Version : First Job - Need help on rustic / mexican furniture

travis howe
01-02-2009, 8:36 PM
Well...Dewey called it, my first paid project is here. It's going to be an entertainment center for my sister and brother-in-law. Nothing too big, around 6feet long and 7ft tall.

They are into the pine rustic furniture that I believe most is waxed w/ a colored wax.

Getting pine for the shelves and doors isn't an issue for me but I'm wondering about the sides, back and other "large" areas that I would normally probably build with laminated plywood. Is there a type of laminated plywood that would match the pine after the wax is on?

I could edge glue pieces after I joint / plane them, just not sure if that's the best route to go and how to keep them flat?

Thanks!

Justin Leiwig
01-02-2009, 8:48 PM
We have a southwestern pine set in our living room and it's got a sort of tongue and groove to the boards that hold it together. Letting it do it's thing is part of the charm of rustic southwestern furniture in my book. Mine is finished in some sort of stain/oil combo that i've never seen before

Gene Howe
01-02-2009, 9:22 PM
[QUOTE=travis howe;1007867]Well...Dewey called it, my first paid project is here. It's going to be an entertainment center for my sister and brother-in-law. Nothing too big, around 6feet long and 7ft tall.

They are into the pine rustic furniture that I believe most is waxed w/ a colored wax.

Some is waxed with shoe polish. Probably not too efficient on your case.;)
Most is dyed walnut with a water based alkyline product. The reason it's so dark is to disguise or even out the variation in color found in their local pines.

Getting pine for the shelves and doors isn't an issue for me but I'm wondering about the sides, back and other "large" areas that I would normally probably build with laminated plywood. Is there a type of laminated plywood that would match the pine after the wax is on?

Why not try unfinished pine "beadboard". It's a plywood product. Other than that, you could make your own T&G. Don't glue it, though. It would need to rest in a groove on all 4 sides.

I could edge glue pieces after I joint / plane them, just not sure if that's the best route to go and how to keep them flat?
I wouldn't worry about the back remaining flat. It's rustic, right?;)