PDA

View Full Version : 15" Planer

Mark Godlesky
01-02-2009, 7:57 PM
I picked this up from CL. The motor has a manufacturer ID plate but I'm not sure if it's just for the motor or the entire planer. Does anyone know anything about this machine? The seller did not. Thanks.

Lee Koepke
01-02-2009, 8:06 PM
does it work?

Mark Godlesky
01-02-2009, 8:17 PM
Yes, it works. I had the seller start it up and run a board through it.

Lee Koepke
01-02-2009, 8:21 PM
Yes, it works. I had the seller start it up and run a board through it.
thats cool. I cant help you with the original question, if its an older machine, the guys at www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) may be able to help.

thats a nice find.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-02-2009, 8:28 PM
The "motor-above" version of your planer was more popular years ago and a bit cheaper than the "motor-below" version. The "motor-below" version is the more popular offering today.

I'm guessing that it is a fairly generic early Taiwanese (not Chinese) import that was sold under many badges. However, the silver paint does not look familiar from some of the past brand names like Lobo, Reliant, Transpower, Total Shop, etc.

Perhaps somebody will recognize it. The good news is that parts are probably available from other current importers like Grizzly or Sunhill.

-Jeff :)

Bruce Page
01-02-2009, 8:33 PM
I don't know anything about it but I don't think it's that old judging by the power switch.

Duh, I just saw the 1984 on the motor plate so it's older than I thought.

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2009, 8:34 PM
It's a knock off of a Delta DC-380. Many vendors sold and still sell them. I have the DC-380, and what I like most, over the motor under the table types, is the bed remains the same height, no matter what the depth of cut is. Makes it very easy to build and out feed table right onto the stand. You didn't say how much of a gloat it was though-$$$?

Mark Godlesky
01-02-2009, 9:02 PM
I wasn't going to gloat too much until I ran some hardwood through it to really judge how well it worked. I picked it up for $250.

Speaking of picking it up, it's pretty darned heavy.

Mike Wellner
01-02-2009, 9:24 PM
thats cool. I cant help you with the original question, if its an older machine, the guys at www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) may be able to help.

thats a nice find.

They don't deal with offshore brands

Matt Meiser
01-02-2009, 9:24 PM
Parts from Delta, Jet, Grizzly, etc would most likely be compatible. These things look identical from the different brands. Of course you could run into differences, but other than leaky gearboxes they seem to be pretty durable.

I would not ask about it on OWWM though--asking about an import planer from the 80's will probably get you run out of there. :D

Jeffrey Makiel
01-02-2009, 9:25 PM
I have no hands on experience, but reading remarks from other folks indicate that the 'motor over' design may have a bit more snipe because there is a slight backlash in the carriage which is taken up by gravity when not planing. The 'motor under' design has a moving table which works with gravity.

Again, this is only what I've read from others.

Either way, $250 is a decent price if nothing is wrong with it other than some rust.

Good luck,
-Jeff :)

Brian Kerley
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I picked this up from CL. The motor has a manufacturer ID plate but I'm not sure if it's just for the motor or the entire planer. Does anyone know anything about this machine? The seller did not. Thanks.

Well, it's interesting to see a Creeker pick that planer up. I had been eyeing it on CL for a few weeks, but I was real hesitant because I wasn't sure who made it. If I had bought it, I was going to try to find the extension tables for it, but without the info about a manufacturer, trying to find the appropriate tables seemed to be a difficult task. I thought it looked like a delta/rockwell, but couldn't really find too much info. You might want to hit up OWWM, those guys might be able to ID it. Good luck!

Mark Godlesky
01-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely plan to give OWWM a try.

I intend to build a mobile cart with flip up infeed and outfeed tables. I'm thinking something like Jeff Maikel did as posted in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100385&highlight=planer+stand