PDA

View Full Version : Yard-Man products insight?

David Klink
06-20-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm in the market for a new yard vac/chipper/shredder. We've had a Craftsman for awhile now and it's been a great machine, but it's around 8 years old, not under warranty, and I want to sell it while I can still get something for it to put towards a new one.

I have my eye on a Yard-Man 24A-203C401. I've never owned any of their equipment though, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with their products?

We have around 3,000 sq. ft. in the back, with a biiig old oak, 2 good sized maple trees, a medium sized maple, an English raintree, and 2 trees of indeterminate lineage that loooove to give up leaves in the fall. Removal is not an option, though I've given it thought. (For more than one reason.)

My ceiling regarding cost is $650, which puts the aforementioned model at the top of my short list because of it's clearance path, HP, engine model, reduction rate, and the handy fact that it's self propelled, which my back would truly appreciate. Also, Yard-Man has a service center within 7 miles of us.

Bill Turpin
06-20-2004, 8:28 AM
These comments are based on a Yardman (MTD) lawn tractor. Consumer Reports listed it as more labor intensive to keep repaired. Deck completely wore out in three years. Replaced both deck spindles at 1.5 yrs. Averaged five new blades each season. They kept bending. My new John Deere has two years on the same set of blades. MTD has had deck removed and is used for pulling a cart. Briggs engine has done well. Deck on MTD took over an hour and two people to take off and reinstall. JD can be done by one person in five minutes.

The sweetness of cheap price will be quickly forgotten after you try to keep it running. To be honest to MTD, it was used for clearing and initial mowing of old, steep, over-grown, mountain top apple orchard. This is full of rocks and stumps (6" diameter) of wild roses. However, the JD has done the same. Two more acres to go. :)

Bill in WNC

Doug Jones
06-20-2004, 8:43 AM
I own a 5 hp Yard Man rear tine tiller. Its going on its 4th or 5th year with no problems at all. Given its not a Troy-Built but for the money it does a fine job. I change the oil every year, do a little greasing and lubing and its good to go.

John Weber
06-20-2004, 9:05 AM
My Yard-Man snow blower works great, not the best out there, but for the money it's been a great buy. I think I've used it without a major repair for 7 years now.

John

Rich Konopka
06-20-2004, 12:22 PM
I own a 5 hp Yard Man rear tine tiller. Its going on its 4th or 5th year with no problems at all. Given its not a Troy-Built but for the money it does a fine job. I change the oil every year, do a little greasing and lubing and its good to go.
Doug:

Troy-Built is MTD and also Yard-Man, Cub Cadet, Bolens, and Yard Machines.

Dan Bussiere
06-20-2004, 8:14 PM
David,
I bought a MTD ridng mower (tractor) in 1992. I have the original blade deck, tires, etc. The only thing I have replaced is the oil and filters in 12 years. It works as good as my neighbors fancy new ones and I would replace it with a sexy one if it would just die. Still looks good too. So, what I am saying is it is a matter of which one you get and how you take care of it. And oh by the way, I have used it for rough lot clearing and weekly cutting. I lived in Florida for a long time where the cutting season was much longer than here in NJ. Again, take care of it and it might just outlast its welcome.

Dan

Bill Bezilla
06-20-2004, 9:19 PM
I would say for the money these days it is hard to beat John Deere. The tractors they are selling in Home Depot are really a good value for the money and I think you will find better engineered than your previous Craftsman.

David Klink
06-21-2004, 2:25 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm going ahead with the Yard-Man, based partially on your personal experiences, so I really appreciate it. That includes Bill T., who had a less than perfect marriage with one of their products. I've checked other manufacturers, and companies like Patriot and White look like they make great equipment, but they're just too darn expensive. $930? No way I could justify that.

I know John Deere makes great products, but they (And several other well thought of companies.)don't make these machines.

The Craftsman has been a great machine. The only fear I have is one day something will fail on it that needs to be replaced, and the parts won't be available. It's saved me countless hours in the yard in the fall, and if this new one does half the job I'll be thrilled.

When I was doing a comparison between the Craftsman and the different MTD models, I could almost swear that the CM was almost a virtual clone of the one YM, save for the engine cover and the color.

Nice little anecdote regarding it. I had it out for the garage sale Sat., and had quite a few people checking it out. In the afternoon, this teeny Amish woman is looking at it. She was maybe 4'10" or so, 80-90 pounds. She's pushing it back and forth, looking in the box the hose kit was in, really giving it the once over. I'm telling someone about something different and when I turn back, she reaches down, hits the primer, throws the switch, spits on her hands, and gives the cord a mighty rip, starting it right up. She let ir run for a couple, turned it off, smiled, then looked at me and asks, "Is it self-propelled?" I said no, then she shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Marginal success with the garage sale, but the sight of that teeny woman starting that sucker like that tickled me to no end.