PDA

View Full Version : Selling Work

Wyatt Holm
01-02-2009, 4:51 PM
Hello,
I have some natural edge nested bowl sets and hollow forms I would like to sell. Could anyone tell me where a good place to sell them is? Such as a gallery or online store.
Thanks in advance
Wyatt

Bruce McElhaney
01-02-2009, 5:23 PM
Wyatt,

Don't have any quick and easy answers. You'll probably have to get out there and beat the bushes like most of us. I sell at art/craft fairs and deal with some local galleries. The art/craft show circuit requires a fair amount of time and effort as well as an investments in a canopy, display setup, etc. It's pretty much setting up your own business. Local Art or Craft galleries can be less work but will take approx half of you $$$. Some co-op type Galleries require you to do some sales work time or pay dues each month, but they generally let you keep a larger % of your sale. Some folks sell On-line, but that usually requires you set up a website and get noticed. Personally, I'm not aware of any on-line galleries that will sell your work for you. But it's possible. Maybe others have more info. . .

Lyle Merdan
01-02-2009, 6:04 PM
http://www.etsy.com

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2009, 7:26 PM
Wyatt I do the craft fair and gallery sales. I sell more at the Arts Gallery than I do at craft fairs. My gallery here is a 70/30 split which is not bad. I just give her the prices and she displays plus prices them. At the end of each month I get a check if things have sold. November and December this last year I was the featured artist and sold over $1000 worth of turnings. At 4 craft fairs I sold $170 and it takes some work to get setup for these things.

Jeff Nicol
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Wyatt, It really all depends on how much time you have to put into selling. My cousin owns a gallery so she shows things for me, but I don't get a break on the split. She takes 35% but I put higher prices on some of the bigger and more involved pieces. I have a little shop here in town that I just walked in one day and told them what I did and then brought in a few items to show them. That was a year ago and I had the highest sales of any seller last month! THe shop makes and sells potpourri, so I turn potpourri bowls and honey dippers go well. Did super on Christmas ornaments and small lidded boxes too!

E-bay is not to bad but you have to be there to ship and respond to buyers with questions and since they can't pick it up and look at the piece up close, the pictures you post on e-bay must be very clear and nice!

I have only browsed the etsy.com site but they only sell hand crafted items.

Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Jeff

Wyatt Holm
01-03-2009, 7:09 PM
Could you give me a list of Craft shows and galleries? I am located in southern Utah.