PDA

View Full Version : spindle adapter

Ted Prinz
01-02-2009, 1:58 PM
New to this forum and have a Q. I have an older Rockwell lathe with a solid 7/8" 14 tpi spindle. Looking to find some kind of adapter so I can mount a pen mandrel. Any ideas/sources out there? Thanks in advance
Ted (in Michigan)

Don Carter
01-02-2009, 3:38 PM
Ted:
Welcome to the Creek. You will find lots of advice and experience here. What morse taper does your lathe have? All of my pen mandrels fit in the morse taper of the head stock...
All the best.

Don

Jeff Nicol
01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Ted, It it is solid and has not hole for a morse taper, then see it a machine shop could build you a mandrel that would spin right on the threads. Also you could get and adapter made that went from the 7/8 x 14 to 3/4" x 16tpi, then there are mandrels available in that size.

Maybe find a nut that fits the 7/8' and weld a plate on one end and drill it centered for the mandrel rod. I think the rod is a metric size as most pens kits are 7mm, 8mm, 10mm etc. I can see it in my head so I know it will work!

Hope this helps!

Jeff

David Christopher
01-02-2009, 11:27 PM
any machine shop can make you a adapter but I would have it made to 1 1/4 X 8 so if you get a bigger lathe later all the accessories will fit

Dave