PDA

View Full Version : Corian Blades for Wood?

Steve H Graham
01-02-2009, 1:11 PM
My used Powermatic 66 came with a pile of Corian blades. Can anyone tell me whether they're good for use on wood? The seller claimed they were.

Mike Henderson
01-02-2009, 1:23 PM
I think Corian blades have a large negative rake angle. If so, you can use them on wood but they won't be as efficient as a blade designed for wood.

To check the angle, lay one of your blades on a workbench. Put a straight edge on top with the edge going through the center of the blade. Look at how the carbide aligns with the straight edge. If the top of the carbide is slanting back, the blade has a negative rake angle.

Mike

Steve H Graham
01-02-2009, 2:27 PM
I guess the best thing is to start cutting wood and see what happens. But I don't know what kind of performance is considered normal for a 5 HP saw. The only thing I have to compare it to is a Ridgid portable on a cart!

Dick Strauss
01-02-2009, 4:17 PM
Steve,
They would probably work best on wood while using a RAS or SCMS if they have a negative rake angle.

Bill White
01-02-2009, 5:59 PM
Steve,
They would probably work best on wood while using a RAS or SCMS if they have a negative rake angle.

You might find that they don't splinter the exit side of the workpiece. Try one on a pc. of ply to see.
Bill

Karl Brogger
01-02-2009, 6:45 PM
Solid surface blade is the same as a melamine blade. Usually 80 tooth, and an ATB grind. They also work great in plywood.

I wouldn't cut up hardwood with them though. They don't work that well. More from the tooth count than anything else.

They do work pretty well in a mitre box though.

tyler emrick
01-02-2009, 8:29 PM
If they have the negative angle i have noticed they tend to make the piece of wood lift up so make sure to hold it down. If it is a fine tooth blade it probably wont cut solid wood very well. When I have tried mine it tends to burn the wood.

Steve H Graham
01-02-2009, 8:52 PM
If the Peachtree catalog is any clue, these things cost almost 200 bucks each, and I have about a dozen. I sure hope they're useful. Thanks for the replies.