PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw HELP ! needed

Rich Pearson
03-14-2003, 7:47 PM
I was trimming the ends off 1/2 thick Beech flooring today. No heavy sawing nor extended use of my 21 year old 1.5 hp Unisaw. I went to do the next cut and it would not turn on. No hums, buzzes, clanks….nothing. I checked circuit breakers, tried the reset button on the unisaw magnetic on/off switch, cycled the switch several times…nothing. LOML wanted the flooring finished, which I did with my trusty jigsaw, so I have not had time to delve deeper.

I’ll get under the hood tomorrow…anyone have anything similar happen? Suggestions as to what to look for?

If it’s the worst case of a fried motor, any suggestions as to sources for replacement motors?

Mitermeister
The less I know, the longer and more convoluted the explanation.

Garrett Lambert
03-14-2003, 8:01 PM
Motors usually don't die without prior indication that something's wrong. Since it's absolutely dead, it isn't the capacitor, or you'd hear a hum.

My guess is it's just not getting electricity. Did you by any chance kick or step on the cable? Start with the breaker and trace the circuit with a tester until you don't get a reading.

A likely candidate is the mag switch, and after 21 years it could be any of several possibilities, hopefuly just an accumulation of dust in the box preventing contact, or contacts that have burned a bit.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Cheers, Garrett

Jim DeLaney
03-14-2003, 8:48 PM
Check for a reset button on the motor itself. Should be just above the shaft, on the end opposite the pulley.

Rich Pearson
03-15-2003, 11:27 PM
THANK YOU for all your replies and suggestions. I had time to get into the saw today and it was a broken on/off switch.

The Delta parts house was not open on Saturday but I found a JET service center which had an almost identical switch for only $20 !! Small mounting hole modifications and my Unisaw switch plate not says JET. I guess that I’m good for another 21 years on this saw???

A side bonus is that the whole unit is now thoroughly vacuumed and blown out.

Thanks again

Mitermeister

The less I know the longer and more convoluted the explanation.

Cam.Hedrick
03-16-2003, 9:28 AM
Gee, and here I sit with an extra mag switch for a UNISAW. I guess if I ever need it, I'll still have it. Glad you found the problem, now to try and repair the Delta switch for a back up.

My shop is a mess and I've no time to clean it with weather like this!:cool:

Ted Shrader
03-16-2003, 3:43 PM
Rich -

Glad you got it going again. Feel kind of lost without something like that not working.

Ted