PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight DP Sander?

Russ Filtz
06-19-2004, 8:26 PM
Anyone try the oscillating spindle sander from Harbour Freight for drill presses? Just wondering if they work, or to save my money.

Steve King
06-19-2004, 8:35 PM
Believe it or not it works better than I thought it would. I had to make a bracket for the oscillating wheel to ride on. Click on link below to see it in operation. (long download 1 meg.)
Steve
HF OSS (http://sekingusa.home.comcast.net/shop/mvc-581w.mpg)

Tyler Howell
06-19-2004, 9:57 PM
Interesting! Permanent set up or do you take it off each time? Does it get in the way of other operations? :confused:

Steve King
06-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Tyler,
You have to take it off, but it only takes a few min. to setup. I was very surprised how well it worked, with a dust collection port also.
Steve

Wes Bischel
06-20-2004, 12:33 AM
I think it works so well because it is the old Delta add-on unit. They don't put the decal on the table - but all of the "free" sanding sleeves come in Delta boxes. I picked one up from HF on sale - $25 bucks or so - when I needed a spindle sander ASAP. It worked well for what it is - actually quite well made. I just used a few clamps to hold the base onto the table, everything else comes off quickly.

FWIW, Wes

Tyler Howell
06-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks Steve and Wes, I'm always very skeptical of add-ons. Ask the men that know!;)
To many years of the latest wonder gizmo to add-on to the RAS. I caught on pretty quick but not until I spent a few bucks.
Thanks!
PS. Anyone wana buy the latest wiz bang add on gizmo?????:o

Wes Bischel
06-20-2004, 1:16 AM
Tyler,
I agree about add-ons and all-in-one machines. It always seems like the wrong component is installed at the wrong time. :rolleyes: I did eventually buy a Delta BOSS (very generous deal from creeker Alan Turner BTW). which frees up the DP for the mortising attachment!! :eek:

Wes

Tyler Howell
06-20-2004, 7:54 AM
[QUOTE=Wes Bischel]Tyler,
:rolleyes: I did eventually buy a Delta BOSS which frees up the DP for the mortising attachment!! :eek:

Wes,
LMAO You guys kill me at 6:45 in the morning.
TX again

Russ Filtz
06-20-2004, 10:05 AM
The HF site says it's "Central Machinery". Will it still be a rebadged Delta?

Wes Bischel
06-20-2004, 3:31 PM
Russ,
I don't think Delta carries it anymore, so technically I guess it isn't rebadged, but I suspect the same manufacturing facility is making it. I know mine is a Delta because a friend had one and the one I purchased from HF was the same down to the packaging and casting numbers. Things may have changed from a few years ago. Make sure you get it on "sale" - usually around $25. I don't think I would have been as happy if I spent $50 on it. :)

Wes