PDA

View Full Version : Compucarve model# 21754 vs. cc r01? They the same?

travis howe
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I see Sears calls the refurb unit cc r01 and the new one 21754. I heard they had released some newer versions but thought it was just in the software? Are these the same units?

They have the refurb down to $999 and it now comes w/ a 6 month warranty, a few months back it was 90 days...so I'm seriously considering giving it a shot.

Thoughts?

AL Ursich
01-11-2009, 3:29 PM
Machines are just reworked of the Sears returns from last year. Good Discount but only a 6 month warranty.

Software is the same with any machine. I am using version 1.131 and I hear 1.132 is out. You can even download the 30 day trial software and it is the same as what I use, everything active. They just activate it when you buy a machine.

The machines do have problems and are a hands on repair often units as they are just hobby units. I have 3 and post under digitalwoodshop on the CarveWright forum.

The machine is not for everyone. You must be willing to learn it's quirks and be willing to make the repairs. It is a stepping stone to a Shop Bot for me.

AL

jimmy riddle
01-21-2009, 5:21 PM
If I where you I would skip using the Carvewright as a stepping stone and go straight to the Shop Bot. At least with a Shop Bot you will only need the one machine. It has a great reputation and can handle much larger projects should the need arise. The Carvewright is well know to have some serious issues and can only handle materials up to 15 inches wide. If you would like to read about the problems people have with the Carvewright log on to Amazon.com Sears.com or the Better Business Bureau websites, it's an interesting read. I spent 18 months trying to get a Sears Compu Carve ( same machine as the Carvewright ) to work and gave up ( after spending out a total of $2980 ).

I brought a Shop Bot Buddy PRS BT32 @ $6,600.00 ( about the cost of 3 Carvewrights ) and have made about a dozen projects including carving 20 kitchen doors in Cherry, without a single issue!

travis howe
01-21-2009, 7:00 PM
Thanks... I've heard both sides of the coin on this one... I'm a fairly technical person that wouldn't foresee many challenges that I couldn't fix w/ the assistance and knowledge of what's available on line if there were an issue, which odds are...

Though, at this point in my life, between work, school, kids and my "typical/non-cnc" woodworking, I really don't have the time nor desire to be mr. fixit.

...so at this point, I'm holding steady with my current tools and hope one day to be able to have everything in place where a shopbot would make sense for me.

Cheers,

t

james mcgrew
01-21-2009, 8:01 PM
build your self a cnc, i have retrofited mine and have two with the carvewright three, the money spent on a carvewright would buy you everypart you need!!

there are forums devoted to diy cnc

jim

Angus Hines
01-21-2009, 8:16 PM
OR just PM our resident wizard of DIY CNC Khalid Khattak

build your self a cnc, i have retrofited mine and have two with the carvewright three, the money spent on a carvewright would buy you everypart you need!!

there are forums devoted to diy cnc

jim