PDA

View Full Version : Covering up questionable tile in the hallway

Dan Mages
01-02-2009, 9:15 AM
The lower level of our house has some 8x8 tile with questionable content. I want to replace the ratty carpet down that is literally duct taped at transition points. I'd like to do tile, but I have not found a safe way to do it and contain the tile at the same time. Outside of an expensive abatement job, any thoughts? I was toying with the idea of laying durrock over the tile, tapcon it into place, and then lay the new tile... but that is a LOT of tapcons.

Thanks!

Andrew Nemeth
01-02-2009, 9:39 AM
First off all I assume you are worried about asbestos tile becuase the tile you have is very thin (1/8") and not ceramic tile. If it is ceramic you have no need to worry about asbestos as far as I know, just rip er up. Once again, assuming that you are installing over linoleum or asbestos tile on top of concrete than the tapcons with durrock will work. You probably won't need the long ones if your concrete is in good shape. If you want to cheat it a bit and the floor is level you could use a floor between the rock and the tile and just use a few screws to draw it tight.

Dan Mages
01-02-2009, 9:42 AM
I am trying to avoid using the A word...

And yes, this is on slab.

Lee Koepke
01-02-2009, 9:48 AM
what are you trying to put over it?

You can generally overlay most products on top of that tile. Especially if it is still pretty strongly adhered to the slab. If you, for example, are going to do carpet over all of it, and there is a transition, you can float in the transition with "vinyl patch", which is a self-leveling floor patch.

Nothing wrong with leaving it in place, its when you drill into it or break it up when you release fibers. If you tap con it, you would probably need to take the same precautions as removal.

Its not as expensive as people think to have small areas of VCT removed, but encapsulating is a much easier process.

Joe Chritz
01-02-2009, 9:59 AM
Lee's got it on this one. As long as the subfloor is solid (if it is slab it is fine) and the tiles are still solid and attached you can just put whatever (within reason) over top. Either ceramic tile or a floating floor system (i.e.Pergo) would work fine.

I wouldn't do anything to the tiles, including drilling with tapcons without protective gear.

You could possibly get it tested cheap enough to see if it is even a concern.

Joe

Dan Mages
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I want to put in ceramic tile into the area.

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Covering it up is the safest option, with gluing rather than nailing or screwing over it. If you have it tested and then you know it's "A" you would have to disclose it upon sale of the home.

Lee Koepke
01-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I want to put in ceramic tile into the area.
Alot of varied opinions on this matter.

There are some that will tell you as long as you strip the wax off and properly clean the VCT you are fine. Pop up any loose pieces and go at it.

Another group would NEVER tile over vinyl based products.

Your issue is more complicated. If they used the asphalt based 'cut-back' (black) adhesive, you will have a real tough time getting anything to stick to it once you remove the existing tiles, thats why I said just go over the existing.

If you have a commercial flooring installer thats been around awhile, they would be a good source to bounce ideas off. Using the right thinset is the key here, not just your run of the mill Big Box stuff ....

Neal Clayton
01-04-2009, 12:30 AM
i grew up on job sites around new orleans (dad was a developer and commonly tore down asbestos filled houses). the state environmental dept would supervise the demo jobs, and these were their directions...

a) wear a mask
b) toss the clothes when you're done
c) keep it wet (that's the kicker)

they only required the white suits and industrial air handling for pipe and wall insulation, that's the stuff that tends to fly in the air. shingles, tile, and siding aren't really that dangerous if handled properly.