PDA

View Full Version : Pen blanks and the prototype

Keith Christopher
01-02-2009, 8:58 AM
Well I was organizing my shop last night and was throwing out any old scrap that was bad and couldn't be used as a pen blank :) When I came across an old (I'm talking 2+years) prototype I made for a spice rack. I was about to bust it up since it is made from pine, mdf and basswood. It was sitting by the 'discard pile' nextto an OLD and worn out piece of white oak 1/4" plywood when it caught my eye and inspiriation hit me ! Needing more 'at hand' storage for pen making stuff. I decided to put it to good use. So I squared up the scrap ply and put it on as a back to this and it sits where you see it. Nothing dramatic or exciting just seemed useful what you can sometimes find in the scrap pile. (Oh and those lines running down the wall behind it aren't cracks in the wall they're old bandsaw blades. I keep everything I need help !)

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2009, 9:28 AM
Keith that looks like a great save from the scrap pile and will serve you well. I am the same way. I guess I get it from my granddad and dad. When I clean I have to force myself to throw things away that have been in the shop for a two or three yrs. and know it will never be used.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2009, 9:37 AM
Keith - great idea and extra storage is something we all need! I'm with you guys in that I save things just in case I can use them - someday. Thing is I usually do use them later. The challenge is to remember where I put it........

Jim Kountz
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Good save and looks like it will do the job and then some!!

Rusty Smith
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Nice little unit. Great find.

David Drickhamer
01-02-2009, 5:43 PM
Throw something away??? I may need that someday.
Good save.