PDA

View Full Version : home made tool

pete ryalls
01-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I purchased the Sorby hollowing tool with the "s" neck and found out a straight one would also be nice but the price to own several of these

So I made one today

the shaft is a rod out of a transmisson and the handle is from a shovel that was laying in the ditch from when the road was repaved this summer
plus a plumbing fitting from a old box of spare parts

ground the end flat , drilled and tap the hole, turned the handle
overall length 23"

not bad for the price

just got to get those tips sharpend correctly
but thats the next problem :eek:

Pete http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/1thumb.gif

Dick Strauss
01-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Pete,
Welcome to the forum. Boy, talk about being resourceful...a shovel handle from the ditch and a transmission shaft to make some turning tools!

Well done,
Dick

Keith Spaniel
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Way to go, you got that recyling down , The brass ferrel is cool. keith

Jeff Nicol
01-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Pete, Another welcome to the SMC forums! I am also a builder and tinkerer and I will make a tool long before I will buy one! I have made 3 goose neck tools and 4 or five different straight tools for different operations. Most all my tools for miniatures are made by me also. I use pieces of old circular saw or tablesaw blades to make my cutters and they work wonderfully!

Being frugal and recycling is what everyone wants these days!

Geat job!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Welcome to SMC Pete. Nice looking tools and recycling to boot.

Don Carter
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Pete:
That tool looks great! I don't like to pay huge prices for things that I can build either. What did you use for the cutter?
All the best.

Don

Richard Madison
01-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Well done Pete! Some of my best tools are home made, and/but mine are bad ugly compared to yours.

Curt Fuller
01-02-2009, 1:36 AM
Hey Pete, you're a man after my own heart. There's not much better than the satisfaction of making a hundred dollar tool for just a few bucks. And the thing is, if it doesn't work just the way you want it to work you just tweek this or that until it does. If it were a store bought tool and it didn't work you'd want to take it back or cuss yourself for ever buying it. Nice looking tool and welcome to SMC!

robert hainstock
01-02-2009, 7:41 AM
Looks real ggo Pete. Welcome to the forum. :)
Bob

Keith Christopher
01-02-2009, 8:50 AM
Don't cha love how creative this hobby makes you :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2009, 9:33 AM
Very nice work Pete! Looks store-bought and I mean that in the nicest way!

Jim Kountz
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Look out Sorby you have some competition!! Nice job!!

Rusty Smith
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Pete,
It looks like you used the cutter from the Sorby making the two interchangable, is that correct?

Wayne Bower
01-02-2009, 2:01 PM
Pete, I too like to make tools. That is a nice job and even better when you can recycle some old materials. :)

pete ryalls
01-02-2009, 2:03 PM
yes used the same cutter and screw as the Sorby

looking to find some other cutters to use
or might try to make my own

anyone have any ideas :D

Bill Bolen
01-02-2009, 4:19 PM
Haven't tried it myself yet but I understand old circular saw blades make great cutting tips. Fine tool you made by the way. I enjoy making and using my own tooling also...Bill...