PDA

View Full Version : Wide Belt Sander thoughts....

Kurt Molls
01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I have been keeping my eye out for a wide belt sander for the past year or so.
I found one for sale fairly local and just want to get some thoughts on the machine, and it's estimated value.
It is a SandingMaster Model 2075C Single Head.
I have seen such things as "platen" & "combination head". Can someone please enlighten me on these terms.
Thanks for the input!

Karl Brogger
01-02-2009, 9:04 AM
If I understand this correctly, a combination head the platen can either be removed or raised up. If it just says platen, its fixed in position.

The platen should only be utilized for finer grits. I use mine only for the last passes, and with 180g.

I've got a Timesavers "Speed Sander". Timesavers imports them, but it is a decent machine and cost was the main factor in why I purchased it. Mine is a 7-1/2hp 1ph, I got it used with very low time on it, and it came with about a dozen belts. Mostly cheap belts, but included none the less. I paid I think $5200 for it last spring. New they are about $7500.

lou sansone
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
hi kurt

please check out this link to my 37 inch timesavers wide belt - this is an original us made machine that gave the name to timesavers - built like a tank.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19201

I give plenty of information on this machine, and I think this is one of the only posts here at smc that really covers the wide belt because most do not have one.

IMHO the wide belt is right on the top of my list for must have tools. for figured lumber and very thin stock, it just excels. most folks do not have one due to the cost, and so many are under the impression that they are a real luxury. but if I was doing this for a business, I would do what ever it took to have on in my shop. Once you have one, you will wonder how you did without it.

on the down side, and maybe one of the reasons many folks here at smc can not have one in their shop is the 20 hp 3 phase motor that runs it. I built my shop with 3 phase so I use it without any issues. I may in the future move to another location that does not have 3 phase. it that is the case I will plunk down the $6000 for a "phase perfect" unit rather than fool with the rotary converters.

BTW - I paid less than 2500 for it!

best wishes
keep looking for good used machines and stay away from the drum sanders... they are a waste of time and money compared to a good value priced timesavers

lou