PDA

View Full Version : Study just about, well... done.

Todd Burch
06-19-2004, 7:21 PM
Except for finishing doors and drawer fronts/boxes and shutters, it's done! Phew!

Here are a few pictures. Will post more text later. Thanks for looking.

Todd Burch
06-19-2004, 7:23 PM
Last one for now. Todd

Tom Sweeney
06-19-2004, 7:38 PM
Man Todd,
I'm almost speechless - & that's a feat! That has to be the most beautiful finish I've ever seen on Cherry. It looks kind of "old world" to me, if that makes sense.

You have really done a remarkable job on this study - you should be very proud & the client should be ecstatic!

Thanks for the update - don't forget to post the completely finished shots.

Mark Singer
06-19-2004, 8:00 PM
Todd,
Unbelievable quality , great proportions and excellent finish work! I wish you were closer to make special pieces for the homes and resturants I design.

John Miliunas
06-19-2004, 8:32 PM
I am truly humbled, Todd. :o I think Satan would be hosting the Stanley Cup before I could get to that level. :) Simply, flat-out stunning! :cool:

Steve King
06-19-2004, 8:38 PM
Todd,
Excellent Workmanship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve

Jim Guy
06-19-2004, 8:57 PM
Todd - You the Man - You the Man
Outstanding!!!!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-19-2004, 9:10 PM
Really nice design and great execution by a special guy. That should really bring in more quality jobs. Congratulations, Todd.

John Shuk
06-19-2004, 9:16 PM
When I see work in some of the old mansions around here I always wonder if there is anybody who can do that sort of work. Now I know there is. Great work from just a fantastic guy!

Tony Falotico
06-19-2004, 9:21 PM
WOW, almost makes me want to sell my tools and give up. You are truly talented Todd, absolutely beautiful !!

My hats off to you Todd.

Tyler Howell
06-19-2004, 9:24 PM
We're Not Worthy,

We're Not Worthy!!!:cool:

Jim Becker
06-19-2004, 9:26 PM
The glazing really makes that study look like it "grew" there! Great job. Your portfolio is greatly enhanced with this one and I suspect it will win you a lot more business. Congratulations!

Jerry Olexa
06-19-2004, 10:08 PM
OUTSTANDING WORK!!! You should be proud! Curious about your finishing approach on the CHERRY,Has a nice rich, deep color! It looks GREAT!! If you have time, let us know your finishing schedule. Thanks and again, GREAT WORK!!

John Weber
06-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Todd,

Outstanding, the work, finish, whole job. Looking forward to details.

John

Dan Mages
06-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Please do not mind me while I drool.

now what is that commandment about not coveting.....

Dan

Jim Ketron
06-19-2004, 11:54 PM
All I can say is WOW!

Jim

Mike Palmer
06-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Very nice job Todd. I look forward to the final pictures.

Gilbert Vega
06-20-2004, 12:29 AM
That is absolutely beautiful!!

Todd, can you provide some details on the finishing. Did you use any stain/ dye? Please provide the steps in the finishing. thanks.

David Klink
06-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Beautiful work Todd! There's only one problem...

My wife saw those pictures and got this look in her eyes. I know that look, and it scares me. I already told her not to think about it, but the seed has been planted. I don't know what room it's been planted in though. I told her the extent of my experience with that sort of thing is limited to hanging some somewhat cheesy paneling in the '70s. I also told her I'm fairly new to WWing, and you're experienced. I think that stemmed the tide for now.

Please don't post such gorgeous work when my wife is sitting next to me on her PC. Pretty please?;)

Chris Padilla
06-20-2004, 3:20 AM
I think it's just okay...some people go overboard here....sigh....

;)

Frank Pellow
06-20-2004, 4:52 AM
I think it's just okay...some people go overboard here....sigh....

;)

Contrary to what Chris says, I don't think that it is possible to go overboard in praising the work that you have shown here Todd!

Bobby McCarley
06-20-2004, 7:12 AM
Todd,

We bow to the MASTER!!!!

Truely the work of a master craftsman.

Bobby McCarley

Bob Marino
06-20-2004, 9:18 AM
Todd,

To say outstanding or beautiful is an understatement. I just haven't figured out if I am inspired to do better or change hobbies!

Bob

Christian Aufreiter
06-20-2004, 9:21 AM
WOW!!!
Todd, your work is outstanding!

Regards,

Christian

Todd Burch
06-20-2004, 9:41 AM
Thanks all for the gracious comments.

It's tough to get a good picture of the whole room, since the lighting is poor. The pictures of the chair rail and crown moulding and column really show off the color well. In the shot of the bookcases, they are the same color, but show up darker. The ceiling beams, not shown in these pictures, are a shade or two darker or the same color, but that was by design.

The finishing process was an 8 step process:

I started out with a toner, which is a NGR (non-grain raising) alcohol-based dye stain. I used cherry toner thinned 50% with lacquer thinner. I think it took about 2+ hours to spray the room.

Then, I stained with a stain called Cinnamon. This was sprayed on and wiped off. Several hours to stain. Don't remember how long. That day was a blur.

Then, I sealed with a water white vinyl sealer. It took well over an hour to spray the room. After that cooked for a little bit, we sanded the whole room. The sanding took 2 people over 5½ hours. I started with the countertops, let them dry a little bit, then attacked the rest of the room.

Then, I went over the whole room with a van dyke brown wiping claze. Just that step took 2 people (me & my wife) over 8 hours. Sprayed on and wiped off. Then, I sealed again and scuff sanded where it was needed.

Finally, it was 3 coats of satin lacquer, sanding over the first and second coats where needed. Countertops were sprayed last, and just before they were sprayed, I stopped to sand any overspray and dry dust off of them.

Before starting the finishing process, I probably spent about a week and 1/4" of fingernails (ouch) finishing sanding everything to 150 grit with the grain. I didn't want to have to jack around with multiple coats of stain to get the darker colors out. The 150 grit provided the surface texture I needed to accomplish this.

I would like to be finished Monday evening, but in all reality it will probably be Tuesday evening. This will be a long week - catching up on other jobs that have been waiting for me to finish this job that took 2½ months longer than it should have.

Ron McNeil
06-20-2004, 9:43 AM
Todd, You are truly an outstanding wood-worker who does beautiful work. I enjoy seeing your projects as I look on in amazement. Thanks for sharing.

Terry Hatfield
06-20-2004, 9:57 AM
Todd,

Awsome as usual!!!! You do some really fantasic work!!!

t

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Todd
What can anyone say that hasn't already been said?
Your dedication and excellent workmanship along with "the boss" makes for the most outstanding accomplishments that we have ever seen.
Daniel :cool:

Howard Rosenberg
06-20-2004, 11:39 PM
You've got great taste and skill and I always appreciate seeing your work.
Thank you.
Howard

Mike Scoggins
06-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Todd,

I’ve been out of pocket for a bit, hence the delayed response, but I must say the study is gorgeous (as I knew it would be)! Your masterful workmanship and attention to detail shine through once again. It’s truly stunning. I love seeing your work and am grateful that you share it with all of us.

Great job!

Mike

Kent Cori
06-22-2004, 3:39 PM
Todd,

As usual, your work is absolutely AWESOME. Any idea how many bf and sheets of plywood went into this fantastic project?

Ted Daigle
06-22-2004, 4:18 PM
Drool is right! Nearly shorted out the keyboard looking at those pics! That is absolutely beautiful!!! How did you get such a nice finish on the cherry?

John Olson
06-22-2004, 4:28 PM
Cherry is one of my wifes favorite woods. So I showed it to her and she said breathtaking. That is the word I would use. Boy that would look good in my bed room.

Jason Tuinstra
06-22-2004, 5:41 PM
Todd, this is one of those jaw-dropping kind of projects. You attention to detail, from construction to finish is to be commended. If memory serves me correct, your wife helped you do some of the finishing as well, right? Maybe that was the bathroom vanity. Regardless, cudo's to her as well!

You posted a number of pictures, and yet I'm sure they only begin to tell the story. Way to go!!!

Jason

Todd Burch
06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Kent, no, I did not keep track. I have all my receipts though, so I could figure it out if I had to. All the wall paneling is 1/4" cherry ply. the framing was built-up with 1/2" and 3/4" MDF. The 3/4" cherry ply is the cabinet boxes, the bookcases, the double thickness countertops and the arched top rail on the bookcase face frames. The solid wood is all the mouldings, the beams, the drawer boxes, drawer fronts, and most of the face framing. About $10K in materials - most of it in the mouldings.

Ted, see my post up above on the 8-step finishing process.

Jason, without my wife, I could not have completed this job. She is such a trooper. She has helped on several projects - this study, the bathroom vanity, and others. I'm blessed!

Todd

Bruce Page
06-22-2004, 10:22 PM
WOW! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The detail, the color, the finish, the quality - everything is just stunning!
You did yourself proud!

I have really enjoyed watching as you progressed through this great work. Thanks for all of the pictures along the way!

Ed Falis
06-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Todd,

You've definitely found your calling. Beautiful work - again!

- Ed

Doug Keener
06-24-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi Todd

I'm late as usual but that is a job to be proud of. I am going to be building a wine rack / book case combination out of cherry in about two months. Glad to know how you did this one. Great Job! Doug Keener

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2004, 8:16 AM
Superb work Todd! I sure hope the client knows what they have and appreciates the craftsmanship. I am also curious about the finish...looks a foot deep!