PDA

View Full Version : Best Woodworking Magazine ?

Ken Milhinch
01-01-2009, 7:41 PM
Please consider, if you had to choose only one magazine, which would it be. If you choose "other", please specify which one. I have tried some of those listed, and frankly, became either bored or disinterested in them.

Syd Lorandeau
01-01-2009, 7:57 PM
Hi,
Other -- Wood Mag

Robert foster
01-01-2009, 8:17 PM
Shopnotes for me.

Joe Trotter
01-01-2009, 8:18 PM
Wood magazine for me

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2009, 8:26 PM
I have tried some of those listed, and frankly, became either bored or disinterested in them.

I agree. I used to think that I was just getting too busy to enjoy FWW anymore, but a look back at old issues makes me think, just like everything else, it's being dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. I will not renew, but people keep giving it as a gift.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-01-2009, 9:06 PM
I've been getting FWW and FHB for a long time. FHB has always been geared more to pros but FWW always had a more varied readership. I dropped my subscription for about a year but just started it again, I missed reading articles by Steve Latta, Gary Rowgowski, John White, etc. I still think they offer something other magazines don't.

I think it was just the economics of the marketplace that forced them to shoot for a wider audience. Many publications are in big trouble. One of my long time favorites has been PC Magazine, they just published their last issue. I saw that magazine go from one geared to computer nerds, to a more general audience of pc enthusiasts, to finally the point where half the articles were reveiws of consumer products. They couldn't exist appealing to a small group computer geeks.

I've always thought that FWW was overpriced, it's 8 or 9 dollars on the newstand now. And as much as the subsciption is, I think that subscribers should have greater access to the website.

William OConnell
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Wood magazine for me
Me too I like wood magazine more so than the others. It may be to artsy for some but I like it

Greg Hines, MD
01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Other- Shopnotes.

Brian Kerley
01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Me too I like wood magazine more so than the others. It may be to artsy for some but I like it

The thing I don't like about Wood mag (which subsequently is what many like about it) is that it seems to be geared towards the beginner woodworker, whose only tools are a circular saw or table saw, and a hand drill. A little too basic for me. I want to see things that will show me different techniques that I may not already know, as well as some really amazing designs that I might be able to incorporate parts of into my own designs.

Dave Lehnert
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I like Popular Woodworking. I enjoy the focus on hand tools.

Fine woodworking, as I have said in another post, has got my last dime. Start a subscription and sent me 3 old issues in two day and never did get the next issue. I did receive the latests issue but now I am at the end of my Subscription and I just got started.

Tom Veatch
01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
+1 for Shop Notes

Steve Vaughn
01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I've only received two issues but I like Wood magazine.

Steve

Danny Thompson
01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
I skip the printed version and, instead, subscribe solely to the FWW website.

All the content of the printed version, and then some. Plus an searchable index of however many years of content (I recently pulled up a James Krenov article from 1979). Accessible from anywhere. Print, and reprint. Save PDFs. Etc. A great resource.

Clifford Mescher
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
The thing I don't like about Wood mag (which subsequently is what many like about it) is that it seems to be geared towards the beginner woodworker, whose only tools are a circular saw or table saw, and a hand drill. A little too basic for me. I want to see things that will show me different techniques that I may not already know, as well as some really amazing designs that I might be able to incorporate parts of into my own designs.
Other-WOOD I think alot of their projects are more complicated then people give them credit. Clifford

Ken Milhinch
01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Thank you all for your inputs so far. Interesting that the poll results show Popular Woodworking & Fine Woodworking to be the overwhelming leaders, yet for me, those were the two I least enjoyed. The next one I was going to try, was American Woodworker, but it hasn't got a vote yet :o

P.S. I have now discovered that American Woodworker and Wood Magazine do not do overseas subscriptions. (Shop Notes was one of the first I sampled and quickly dropped.) Seems like I will have to content myself with reading the newspapers.

Dewey Torres
01-02-2009, 1:31 AM
Ken,
This is all about taste but I find 2 things odd:

1) American woodworker got no votes

2) You didn't include Wood which might be among the most popular.

I subscribe to all of the above plus a few that are not on the list and I like them all otherwise I wouldn't subscribe.

There are quite a few threads on this same subject some which even have polls.

Ken Milhinch
01-02-2009, 2:25 AM
Dewey,
I didn't include Wood because I didn't know of its existence. That having been said, magazines listed under "other" have only received 7 votes. I did try a search to find previous polls of this type, but came up empty. Sorry if I am going over old ground. My question is quite specific though. If you had to choose only one, which one would it be.

Dewey Torres
01-02-2009, 2:56 AM
Ken,
I didn't mean it that way. I am not accusing you of covering old ground. I like your thread. It is sometimes hard to tell over a computer what folks really mean when they write.

I failed to write it but my pic would be FWW if I could only have one.

Here are some of the threads I remember reading:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98774&highlight=magazine

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95832&highlight=magazine

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91598&highlight=magazine

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91483&highlight=magazine

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88394&highlight=magazine

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62447&highlight=woodworking+magazines

I can't remember (or could not find) the one with the poll. They are very interesting to read.

Ken Milhinch
01-02-2009, 4:16 AM
Dewey,
That's ok, no offence taken (or intended). Thanks for the links to previous threads. Seems like Shopnotes and Woodsmith were very popular in those threads, but I've tried them both and frankly found them pretty ordinary, particularly Shopnotes. Perhaps I am just hard to please.

Dewey Torres
01-02-2009, 4:27 AM
Dewey,
... Perhaps I am just hard to please.

Hey Ken,
A few questions if I may...

Are the Australian woodworking tools and work methods normally in Metric?

Do you ever find it challenging to read plans in English measurements?

Did that influence your decisions about any of the magazines?

You should check out Wood Magazine off a newsstand if you can find it. I would easily put it in the top 3.:)

Bob Genovesi
01-02-2009, 6:57 AM
I like WoodSmith and WoodWorkers Journal. Both seem to cover quite a lot of my interests without the exotic flair...

Mark Buchanan
01-02-2009, 7:09 AM
One more vote for Wood magazine and I subscribe to all on the poll.

Ken Milhinch
01-02-2009, 7:50 AM
Hey Ken,
A few questions if I may...

Are the Australian woodworking tools and work methods normally in Metric?

Do you ever find it challenging to read plans in English measurements?

Did that influence your decisions about any of the magazines?

You should check out Wood Magazine off a newsstand if you can find it. I would easily put it in the top 3.:)

Dewey,

Most tools sold in Australia are metric, but I buy most of mine from USA suppliers, so I work with both metric and imperial.
I grew up with imperial measurements so I can work in either - sometimes both. (Australia officially switched to metric in 1970)
So that has nothing to do with my assessments of the magazines.
It's not available here, but I have asked the publisher about an overseas subscription.

Rick Thom
01-02-2009, 8:02 AM
I have to say FWW for me because of the wide scope and quality of the projects. I like Woodworking magazine very much too because of the no-nonsense information and the instructive method used to develop and build useful skills.

Thomas Bennett
01-02-2009, 8:05 AM
Woodshop News gets my vote in "other". Woodwork is #2. I received FWW(and FHB) for the first 15 years. Enough is enough! I now read it at the public library a couple of times a year.

Larry Edgerton
01-02-2009, 8:48 AM
I agree. I used to think that I was just getting too busy to enjoy FWW anymore, but a look back at old issues makes me think, just like everything else, it's being dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. I will not renew, but people keep giving it as a gift.

I agree about the dumbing down. I dropped my subscription when they did a box article by some Judy somebody or other and it was so basic that it was obvious that it was only to appeal to women woodworkers. I wrote a letter to the editor that they should start another magazine that is called "Truely Fine Woodworking" for those of us that have been at it for more than six months. They didn't print it.:)

I pull out some of the black and white editions, and there were some projects and articles back in those days that are still a challange to me today.

I haven't subscribed for many years, and I have not seen a magazine since that is not just a source of ads. I dropped Fine Homebuilding when it became a how to for homeowners, and featured how to articles for framing technics that are the reasons that houses built today are by and large a bunch of horse manure.

Fred Hargis
01-02-2009, 8:49 AM
Wood magazine remains my favorite...though I've lost a lot of interest in their website.

Craig McCormick
01-02-2009, 9:55 AM
Woodwork gets my vote followed by FWW, and then Wood.

Woodwork magazine was recently sold. I hope they maintain.

I usually go to the book store up the street and look through several. I walk away with one or two.

AZCRAIG

Dave Verstraete
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Is it possible to live with only one? I guess so. I subscribe to and rate in this order FWW, Wood, Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Woodworkers Journal.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree about the dumbing down. I dropped my subscription when they did a box article by some Judy somebody or other and it was so basic that it was obvious that it was only to appeal to women woodworkers. I wrote a letter to the editor that they should start another magazine that is called "Truely Fine Woodworking" for those of us that have been at it for more than six months. They didn't print it.:)

I pull out some of the black and white editions, and there were some projects and articles back in those days that are still a challange to me today.

I haven't subscribed for many years, and I have not seen a magazine since that is not just a source of ads. I dropped Fine Homebuilding when it became a how to for homeowners, and featured how to articles for framing technics that are the reasons that houses built today are by and large a bunch of horse manure.

I know the story you are talking about, and I couldn't agree more! They do have some good stuff every now and then though. Steve Latta is generally great, really like the stringing story, as is most of the Master Class stuff. Wait, Steve Latta was telling us how to use a dado set in the last issue if my memory serves me...:mad:

Rick de Roque
01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Tossup between FWW and PW.

Rick

David Keller NC
01-02-2009, 2:17 PM
"The next one I was going to try, was American Woodworker, but it hasn't got a vote yet :o"

Please, please do not waste your money on this magazine. I subscribed for years, but the quality has dropped to the basement. It is largely about building shop jigs, birdhouses and tool reviews. It sucks. Badly. And you will get never-ending phone calls trying to get you to re-up your subscription.

I would also recommend against Fine Woodworking. As others have noted on this thread, FWW is no longer about Fine Woodworking, it's about Mediocre Woodworking. The new leadership of the magazine is trying to position it as a magazine for all woodworkers, and that's not possible. It's just plain unacceptable for FWW to try to lower itself to be a clone of the "build a complete kitchen in a weekend with a ryobi panel saw and construction lumber!!" magazines in a greedy and mis-guided effort to make Taunton more profitable.

From an activist point of view, it would be best to punish their idiocy severely with rapidly declining readership and revenues. They might get the message, but then again I get the impression that they "know what they're doing", so they will run it into the ground no matter what.

There is one magazine not included that is quite good - Woodwork. Its current publisher dropped it with the December issue, but a new publisher has picked it up. To date, I've not seen a tool review nor a tired "tune up your bandsaw!" article in it - it's about woodwork, and only woodwork, though it is focused on the studio furniture and "art" woodwork side of the hobby.

Michael Gibbons
01-02-2009, 2:31 PM
FWW is my #1 and Popular Woodworking is a real close second. I've stopped my renewing my subscription to WOOD. The projects they show just seem to be "CLUNKY" to me. Also they have too many shop organizing articles. Come on-How many sandpaper holder projects do you really need?

David Cramer
01-02-2009, 3:03 PM
Also FWW with Popular Woodworking a close second and the NEW Woodworks an unknown at this time. It may surpase FWW, but only time will tell.

David

Matt Meiser
01-02-2009, 9:48 PM
Right now, if I had to choose just one it would be Popular Woodworking. A few points thought. First, they seem change over time, some getting better, others going downhill, then they switch. Second, it would depend on what you are interested in. A beginner might like one magazine over another where an advanced woodworker might like another. Right now I get the following:

Wood: probaby won't renew because there hasn't been much in there that interests me lately. Seems to be largely projects and reviews. There's not much I need/want in the way of new tools and most of my projects I design myself. So it just doesn't really fit my needs.

Fine Woodworking: I'd actually dropped it but my wife assumed that the mailing sitting on the counter meant I wanted it renewed and sent it in. IMHO, its really gone downhill over a few years ago. On top of it, they cheapened up the shipping and go rid of the heavy cover and the 3 I've gotten since the renewal have all come with major damage. To their credit they are replacing them as I call. The last year or two I've increasingly found that there's not much that interested me.

Popular Woodworking: seems to have a good mix of articles. There's always something of interest to me in there.

Woodworking: seems to have gone downhill slightly but still good.

I've subscribed to both Shop Notes and Woodsmith in the past. They are great magazines, but mostly about specific projects. If the projects don't interest you, there's not much else. So I just buy from the newsstand if there's an interesting project--and mostly I just use those for ideas.

For whatever reason I've never really cared for Woodworkers Journal (by Rockler) and Woodcraft magazine because I feel like they are just big ads for those companies that I have to pay to get. Of course that's just my opinion...

Craig McCormick
01-02-2009, 9:55 PM
Are Woodwork and Woodworking one and the same?

AZCRAIG

Ron Jones near Indy
01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Wood, but I'm not sure why. I just have always liked it. On the other end, I seems to get less out or WWJ with every issue. If it doesn't get better, in my opinion, I doubt that I renew.

Brian Effinger
01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
It's amazing how everyone views these magazines differently. Me - I just picked up subscriptions to Popular Woodworking, and American Woodworker (2 years for the price of 1), but after a couple issues, I'm not to sure about them. I just haven't gotten into the stuff PW has yet, and AW is only slightly better. I currently also have subscriptions to Wood, Woodsmith, Shopnotes and Fine Woodworking. I still really like both Wood and WS - I like the mix of projects and stuff they offer. I may drop shopnotes after my time is up, but I'm not sure yet. And FW is good, but it seems a little snobby to me (just my opinion).

David Klug
01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree

Dave

Chuck Tringo
01-03-2009, 3:31 PM
I actually have no problems with any of them. I have yet to do an actual "project" from plans....I get them mostly because their relatively inexpensive entertainment (overall average less than $15 each a year) and to get ideas....I get more Ideas from various picture of other peoples work or stuff in the shop than from the actual projects. I them take the picture then modify it to how I want it to turn out and start making sawdust. Plus it gives me something to do while SWMBO is watching lifetime or hallmark before bedtime :p

Alan DuBoff
01-03-2009, 3:45 PM
I seem to be in the minority with Woodworking magazine...

Without a doubt my favorite, it's the only magazine that doesn't have ANY advertising in it, just good 'ol fashioned articles, mostly towards hand work, but not all. It is probably the only magazine I will keep my subscription to.

I have a subscription to Popular Woodworking also, it's pretty good but the quality is not up to the same level as Woodworking as it has a lot of advertising in it.

I see FWW is leading the poll, my least favorite magazine that leaves SPAM all over the floor when I have got it in the past...

Mike Conley
01-03-2009, 3:58 PM
I subscribe to Wood and Woodsmith.

I like Woodsmith for the projects, but I usually do not renew until they send me a really low offer. I think I paid $8.00 to renew last year.

I will probably not renew Wood Magazine when my subscription runs out. I like the magazine except that I wish it had more stuff in it. I would like a magazine that takes more than 30 minutes to go through.

Matt Meiser
01-03-2009, 4:28 PM
I see FWW is leading the poll, my least favorite magazine that leaves SPAM all over the floor when I have got it in the past...

Woodsmith and Shop Notes has one-upped them. They have a third-party call center making calls for them that won't take no, or "don't call me back" for an answer. They would actually hang up on me before I could get the latter out. But a voicemail message left for the editor seems to have taken care of it for now.

Alan DuBoff
01-03-2009, 4:54 PM
Woodsmith and Shop Notes has one-upped them. They have a third-party call center making calls for them that won't take no, or "don't call me back" for an answer. They would actually hang up on me before I could get the latter out. But a voicemail message left for the editor seems to have taken care of it for now.Luckily I haven't had that happen yet Matt. I am very insistent they take me off their calling list if any of those solicitors do call. I have both of my kids and my wife trained to request the same of any that call.

I used to get bothered by the local Police, always calling to solicit tickets to their Policeman's ball or whatever it is...you don't really want to suggest they take you off their calling list, since they do know where you live...so I just mention I've been out of work for several months and can't find a job...;) Hey, I do pay for their salaries with my taxes, and I pay plenty of taxes on my home...:rolleyes:

Bill Houghton
01-03-2009, 7:01 PM
this is like arguing over the best dessert - there are bad ones (twinkies come to mind), but there are lots of good ones, each different (my list here would exceed the character limit for posts).

Ben Abate
01-03-2009, 7:23 PM
To be honest I haven't been crazy about FWW for awhile. I still get it but I'm thinking of not renewing my subscription. Popular Woodworking is pretty ok.... I have to say and I don't think anyone mentioned it or if they did I missed it.... Woodshop News. I think that is a great monthly mag....It is a bit more to the one man professional shop but it has some good info about some many things....It is pretty well rounded to teaching, training, new equipment, up and coming things. I just said that the other day when it arrived in the mail, that I thought it was a good rag....

Ben

Scott Vigder
01-03-2009, 8:33 PM
Woodsmith has no advertising, and many of the other magazines seem to be so over saturates with ads they really turn me off.

I have built several project using Woodsmith plans, and have been able to easily accomodate my own design and construction concepts into their designs for some great results.

I would vote WorkBench s the absolute worst magazine I subscribed to.

John Schreiber
01-03-2009, 9:13 PM
I don't subscribe to any woodworking magazines. Except for being able to read them in bed, they don't do much for me that I can't get from Sawmill Creek.

Chris Schumann
01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Get a laptop, John. Then you can read the Creek in bed too.

Dewey Torres
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Woodshop News gets my vote in "other". Woodwork is #2. I received FWW(and FHB) for the first 15 years. Enough is enough! I now read it at the public library a couple of times a year.

Tom if you come across a try before you buy it opportunity for Woodshop News place let me know. Send me a PM.

David Keller NC
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
"Are Woodwork and Woodworking one and the same?"

No. Woodworking Magazine is the no-advertising publication that comes out 4 times a year from the editors of Popular Woodworking (there are no "contributor" articles other than the "tips" section - it's completely written by the Pop woodworking editors). This is a superb magazine, in my opinion, even though they do include tool reviews. I think I like it mainly because it isn't repetitive (birdhouse plans), and the articles are sometimes iconoclastic to woodworkign dogma, which I appreciate.

Woodwork is a much older publication, and is the more typical format with color pictures, contributor galleries, and advertising. I personally like it, though it focuses on the "art" side of woodworking - the kidn of thing where most of us are scratching their heads and thinking "what is it?". But that's OK with me, because the magazine's content still makes me think, and doesn't include worthless tool reviews, bandsaw tune-ups and the like. It mainly focuses on the craft, so you'll always get an interview and profile of a professional woodworker, plus out-of-the-way techniques, design articles, etc...

Unfortunately, the current publisher of Woodwork has dropped it, and as I understand it, it will only be published 4 times a year from now on.

Steve Bagi
01-04-2009, 2:53 PM
Wood Work and Woodshop News for me. FWW has really gone down in quality.

Dan Bertenthal
01-04-2009, 6:23 PM
Woodworking Magazine is a real gem. They have a sample issue for download on their website which is pretty typical of the quality of the magazine in general.

I've subscribed to FWW for years but it seems pretty stagnant lately and I don't plan on renewing.

d

tom coleman
01-05-2009, 5:02 AM
shop notes is my first choice, woodsmith 2nd

Scott Coffelt
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
FWW for me.

I have Wood, which I just received my last issue. No renew for me on this one. I have had if for several years, but I find it to be just OK.

I had Shop Notes, from the day they came out, held it for 10-12 years or so I guess. Then it was let go. I got a request for $6/yr. Tempting as it be for that price, not going to get it again. I picked one up at Lowe's and browsed through it. Not real impressed.

I also have the Woodcraft magazine, I still like it, have it for awhile longer... I guess I'll decide on that one when it comes up.

FWW, I'll continue to keep. I have all issues and even the special issues. Storage is a pain, but like having that one.

Don Bullock
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
This question comes up fairly often, but it is interesting to read the opinions that others have about the various publications. Since I'm getting back into woodworking after being away from it for a long time I subscribe to most of the woodworking publications. At this point I selected Popular Woodworking in the poll, but I do find that I enjoy most of them and am learning a lot from almost all. My least favorite to date are the ones that seem to zero in on specific projects and go on at length giving all the details of that particular project. I find that most of the selected projects aren't ones I'm interested in building. Some, however, do give me ideas and techniques that I can incorporate into projects I'm interested in making so I haven't dropped them from my subscription list yet. I'm sure that once my shop is set up, and I'm able to work in it, that I will be dropping many of the magazines because I'll have less time to look at them. Between now and then I'm starting to be more critical about the magazine content of each publication so that I can decide which subscriptions to keep.