PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Lathes

Greg Bender
01-01-2009, 2:48 PM
Does anyone own,or does anyone know of some one who owns a Laguna Lathe.I'm interested in the 18/47 and would like to see it or at least talk to an owner and get there $.02 on its performance.It would seem like a good deal compared to the 3520 which happens to be twice the price for 2 " of turning diameter but gives up 12" of length..Laguna is offering free shipping right now so that helps also.I live in NC so SC,VA,NC or GE would be the best.Thanx,
Greg

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2009, 3:22 PM
Greg - I do not know of anyone who has this lathe but it has been the subject of discussion a number of times. The general consensus has been less than favorable but it would be best for you to read all the comments and decide for yourself.

Just do a search on this forum to find more of these threads:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96395&highlight=laguna
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87587&highlight=laguna

Hope that helps.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2009, 4:23 PM
I would say from experiences I have read on different forums I would opt for the Jet 1642. There customer service is not good at all. There have been several that have bought this lathe. They have been sent back and got their money back. I looked at this lathe when I bought my Nova DVR XP and after doing some research on other forums decided I didn't need or want the headaches others have had with this lathe.

John Shuk
01-01-2009, 6:53 PM
There was a long thread on the AAW website forums about this machine.

Jim Kountz
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I almost pulled the trigger on this one until I got their shipping quote. They wanted almos $500 to ship it to me but now that the shipping is free I would really have to rethink my position. It look like a really nice lathe to me.

Gordon Seto
01-02-2009, 7:12 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on this one until I got their shipping quote. They wanted almos $500 to ship it to me but now that the shipping is free I would really have to rethink my position. It look like a really nice lathe to me.

Do yourself a favor, read what John Shuk said first.
Great lathe without service is still a poor gamble.
(If you can't find the forum, PM)

Jim Kountz
01-02-2009, 9:24 PM
Do yourself a favor, read what John Shuk said first.
Great lathe without service is still a poor gamble.
(If you can't find the forum, PM)

Ah its a moot point now, I bought a Jet last fall!! If I move up from the 1642 its going to be white but it wont say Jet!!