PDA

View Full Version : Pub table - pedestal ideas

Michael Merrill
01-01-2009, 2:00 PM
Hey, I'm getting started building a pub table with general dimensions of 42H x 40W, top will be an octagon not round top.

My plan for the pedestal is a octagon pedestal that is 6" at the top and then about 16" from the bottom expands to 8" for a bit more dimension and interest. Then on 4 sides I'll have additional legs that stretch out another 8" from the base giving me a total base measure of 24".

The table will be maple to match other items in the bar. I'm going to add some walnut accents either in trim of inlay, not sure yet.

One thought I had was to begin the build up of the pedestal with cheaper material like pine or WW that is dried and glue up a center block of maybe 4" then glue the maple to get the final dimension and then make my cuts for the octagon shape? Anyone think this is a bad plan? If so what adjustments would you recommend.

Sorry for no electronic plans to post for better illustration.

Michael Merrill
01-01-2009, 7:21 PM
Any comments?

Darren Salyer
01-01-2009, 7:52 PM
I would barrel stave them, glued with band clamps. That way the legs can be attached with hanger bolts. To get your taper, you could build a jig to taper them with a planer or jointer. If you don't have the capacity to taper after glue up, you could taper each stave prior to glue up. 8/4 stock works great here.
Darren

Michael Merrill
01-02-2009, 9:55 AM
I was afraid that without a picture or drawing it would be tough to understand my idea. As opposed to a taper that runs fro top to bottom, I was thinking of doubling up the thickness about 16" from the base to 8" from 6" more like a stepped design. On the step I would either mill some custom some trim to miter around the transition, or just dress the edge of the maple used to build up the base.

More confusing?

Jamie Buxton
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
One thought I had was to begin the build up of the pedestal with cheaper material like pine or WW that is dried and glue up a center block of maybe 4" then glue the maple to get the final dimension and then make my cuts for the octagon shape? Anyone think this is a bad plan?

Making it solid is a waste of wood, and making it octagonal after the glue-up is extra work. Make it with hollow, with eight pieces of wood which run from top to bottom. Bevel the edges of each piece of wood at 22.5 degrees. Glue it up, clean up the squeeze-out, and you're done.

Michael Merrill
01-02-2009, 12:54 PM
The hollow glue up isn't a bad idea but I do like the idea of the heavier weight i the base that is why I considered the filler wood to add weight to the pedestal. Given that pub tables are pretty tall and slender I was hopping the weight would aid in stability.

I could go with your suggestion then make a "plug" to fit the inside from the bottom to add a little additional weight, and give me more to attach my bottom legs to.

Thanks for making me think!

Jamie Buxton
01-02-2009, 1:03 PM
The hollow glue up isn't a bad idea but I do like the idea of the heavier weight i the base that is why I considered the filler wood to add weight to the pedestal. Given that pub tables are pretty tall and slender I was hopping the weight would aid in stability.

I could go with your suggestion then make a "plug" to fit the inside from the bottom to add a little additional weight, and give me more to attach my bottom legs to.

If you want weight, put a bottom in the column and pour sand or gravel in the top. Per pound, stone is lots less expensive than wood.