PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Vase

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2009, 1:45 PM
Here is one more vase that had some spalting to it and boy was this thing a bear to turn. It was a rather punky piece. The neck just crumbled off as I was turning so just cut it off. I used some CA but finally got some Minwax wood hardener and soaked it. I probably should have just chucked it into the neighbors firewood pile but I just couldn't give up on it. Am I the only one that won't give up on a piece. I didn't get a picture before the wife took it of the inside but I painted it black and it sure makes a difference as it looks like the depth goes forever. She just got back so took a quick pic's of the inside. It is finished with 3 coats of satin wipe on poly. It is 7" tall and 6" across.

David Drickhamer
01-01-2009, 3:04 PM
Nice vase Bernie. I like the shape a lot. Never thought of painting the inside but will have to try it.
Dave

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2009, 3:14 PM
Nice save Bernie! I am also one of those guys who refuses to give up on a turning... but I am learning! Lot of times I have to figure if it is worth the extra time and the risk of having it blow up, etc. Now that I have a few extra pieces of wood to turn I find I don't have the patience with a piece unless it really has some character!

I like the vase. Find the black opening is unexpected and I am sure it will grab a lot of folk's attention!

Bill Wyko
01-01-2009, 4:27 PM
I see you're up to your beautiful work Bernie. Nice job.:)

robert hainstock
01-01-2009, 4:38 PM
Luv rhe shape. Have to say also, that is a nice save. I have several of those "won't give up ons" around too. :):)
Bob

David Christopher
01-01-2009, 6:45 PM
Very nice vase, I like the idea of painting the inside. I wandered what to do with some of mine that dont look just right inside

Dave

steven carter
01-01-2009, 9:00 PM
Way to hang in there Bernie! I too am somewhat stubborn, when I start something, I want to finish it no matter what.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2009, 9:40 PM
Thanks again for the comments. Yep I should have chucked it before I started hollowing. NO not me I just kept turning. I thought about putting a collar on it with a smaller hole but figured I would leave well enough alone. Beside the LOML snagged it and has a flower arrangement in it. So I told her that was her anniversary gift. Of course that went along with the diamond necklace and earrings. I figured she put up with me now for 41 yrs so with all the turning toys (her words) I figured she deserved something.

Gary Herrmann
01-01-2009, 9:43 PM
Very nice Bernie. I like that shape. I spent the day working on a cabinet for my 3520b. I guess that's almost turning...