PDA

View Full Version : Weather extremes on workshop chemical items

Philip Florio
01-01-2009, 1:32 PM
I'm wondering about potential problems with chemical items in my garage and swings in the temperature.

My workshop is in my attached garage. The temp can be as low as 45 in the winter and up to 90 in the summer. My concern is this time of the year. When I go in there and it's 45 the heater will move the temp up and in a few hours it will fall again. So can this rapid cycle be bad for chemicals? I use a fan close to the ceiling to help pull down the warmer air up there when using the heater.

What I mean by the generic term chemicals refers to typical garage items like paint, caulking, car waxes. For the workshop that includes but not limited to, glue, wood fillers, stains, finishes, lacquers, epoxy, end sealers & mineral spirits.

Thomas S Stockton
01-01-2009, 1:49 PM
I don't think that those temps will cause problems. Things like glue, latex paint and waterbase products you don't want to freeze and will go bad. The one tip I have is to warm things like glue and finish up to room temperature before using. Various glues have minimum temps on the labels so use that as a basic guide.
Tom