PDA

View Full Version : CA glue...Cap On or Off?

Roger Bell
01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Does it do any harm to CA glue to leave the cap off? This was recommended in a DVD by Lyle Jamison.

For me, it seems that caps-on tend to promote stem clogging when left on.

What do you guys do?

Jeff Nicol
01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Roger, Since is is moisture that promotes CA to cure any glue that gets on the spout and cap will cure faster than that in the bottle. With the cap off the amount of air that gets in the bottle is small, eventually it will cause the glue to thicken and get hard an gooey. But if you use it fast enough that will most likely not happen. I have a small plastic jar that I put the bottles in at night so there is no air getting in especially during summer and high humidity. So the tipped over comment is the thin will go all over the place if you tip it over so I try to keep the cap on it or in a little holder I have for it.

Good luck and keep it off your fingers before scratching any thing!

Jeff

Curt Fuller
01-01-2009, 2:54 PM
Rather than use the lid that comes with the glue, just take a pin or needle that will fit snug in the opening and make a small handle from a bead to hold it with for a lid.

Ken Dolph
01-01-2009, 3:27 PM
CA is an anarobic adhesive, it will not cure in the presence of oxygen. Leaving the cover off in a dry place is best for the adhesive.

A top on is wonderful if you are carrying in your pocket or if the bottle spills.

I have found that if I wait 20 minutes to put the top on, the top does not stick. All of the adhesive has run back into the bottle.

A compromize that works for me.

I hope this helps,
Ken

Jeff Nicol
01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Great tips Ken! I read another post where someone would squeeze the bottle and let the air suck back in to help it drain faster. The pin trick really does not work to well for me, I always end up with a big mess!

Thanks again

Jeff

robert hainstock
01-02-2009, 7:51 AM
I had been leaving the cap off a 2oz bottle of "gap filler", I found that it wouldn't cure well even with BLO after a few months. I added a 1/4 oz of regular CA and it now works fine again. It is like the "Duke" said in the movie "Hondo, A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do". I was ready to throw the stuff out when I thought why not. :eek::)
Bob

charlie knighton
01-02-2009, 8:14 AM
thanks for the tip, Ken, i have been just trying not to get stuck to something

Jim Becker
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Cap on, but only after "banging down" the container on the bench a few times to clear the spout.

keith zimmerman
01-02-2009, 3:49 PM
Likewise, cap on after allowing the glue to flow back down into the bottle.