PDA

View Full Version : How about ROS with dual mode?

John Bush
01-01-2009, 11:48 AM
A previous thread asked about variable speed, which seems well worth it, but a resent magazine review had several models with dual mode. Anyone have experience/comments on this feature??

Thanks, and HNY JCB.

Jim Becker
01-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I have the Festool Rotex 150 which is by nature, a dual-mode sander. While I rarely use the orbital (very agressive) mode, it does come in handy when you really need to attack something with fervor. Make sure any dual-mode machine you consider has a handle setup that allows for comfortable two-hand use 'cause you'll need that when you are using the rotary/orbital mode...there is a lot of torgue to control.

Mike Henderson
01-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I have dual mode sander but only use one mode. I just don't find the aggressive mode to be worth while. You can use really coarse sandpaper and get almost the same result.

Mike

John Bush
01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Mike and Jim,
I have a 12 y.o. Craftsman $49 Father's Day Special that has been fine for me , mostly because I have not used any others for comparison. I have a big project planned that will require a large surface area of smoothing, not fine finish sanding(playground equip. for a community park--no splinters for the kids), and the old Cman could work but would likely take forever. I am assuming that in one mode you essentially have a concentric rotary (grinder like) motion and the other mode is the eccentric random orbit. Am I missing something? Is there also a vibration component in there somewhere. The high end sanders are quite impressive but the little birdie said "Cheap Cheap Cheap" and I am looking for the better value with logical features. Any insight and suggestions?? Thanks again, JCB.

Mike Henderson
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
You can go faster with a 6" sander than with a 5" sander but the price goes up a good bit, and they're heavier. I have a 6" I don't use very much. You can also look at belt sanders which I think would work better for what you describe.

If you only have one project like you describe, I'd gut it out and do it with what you have. If you think it's going to be on-going, I'd buy a sander that will work well for that kind of job - maybe a belt sander.

I'm fairly frugal so I only buy when I really need a new tool.

That said, having a brake on a ROS is a really nice feature.

Mike

John Bush
01-01-2009, 1:59 PM
Thanks Mike,
I have a good belt sander but thought it may be too aggressive. I will be making a coopered type water tower 4ft in dia. with a coopered water pipe 30" in dia. as a slide. The water tank will likely be 2x6 and the pipe 2x4 so there will be lots of corners to lightly round over but not knock down too much. I will use cedar so it is soft enough to smooth easily. A single mode ROS would likely be fine, but mine has had a good life and an upgrade is logical. The next consideration is if the dual mode would be needed for this and future projects.

Jim Becker
01-01-2009, 3:50 PM
John, when it comes to sanders, consider that better units have less vibration and that not only helps them last longer, it also helps your hands and wrists. You don't have to spend a mint, but the lowest price products typcially cost more in the long run...