PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Belt/Disc Sander

Dave Verstraete
01-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm currently looking for a belt/disc sander. The budget allows up to $600, so I think I should be able to afford one with a stand or cabinet under it? I see where Grizzly has two different RPM's listed on their better sander. Any observations would be appreciated. Good DC would be appreciated.

Fred Hargis
01-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I've got the G1276 (slower one) and for what it is, it's a good tool. I found out after I bought I personally don't have near the use for it that I thought I did....but that's just me. The slower speed still cut fairly fast, and may save you some trouble with burning. The price on these has gone up quite a bit...I think I paid a little over $400 when I bought mine. I also had a motor problem, but Grizzly fixed me up under warranty and paid all the shipping charges (both ways) so I'm a happy camper. I've read where others have had problems getting the belt to track correctly. There are 2 adjustment screws for the dang thing, and tryng to use both of them is an exercise in frustration. I just use the front one, and it works quite well.

Jim Becker
01-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Ditto on Fred's comments...I also have the G1276 lower speed unit. It's a tank; well made and works great. But honestly, I wish I had bought an edge sander instead. I have never used the disk (outside of one time for a quick job so I didn't have to move the unit for access to the belt) and would get more value from an edge sander for what I use the unit for. I have not had any tracking issues with the belt...it stays dead on for me.

Don Morris
01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Do a search on "belt/disc sanders" and you'll get several inquiries of late. I did a lot of research a little while ago and almost ended up with either the Jet or one of the Grizzlies. The Jet I was looking at was the hands down Dust collectors favorite because of the size of the port. I still haven't made a move (size of shop and $$$ mostly) and have been existing without. Plus, my needs just don't normally call for such a beast. Got beat out on eBay for a relatively new Jet...D__n.

Lance Norris
01-01-2009, 3:26 PM
I have this Jet and its been a great tool. Lots of power and good belt tracking. It also has risen dramatically in price, when I bought mine it was around $400. It has a 4" dust port and collection is very good. Big belt sanders make lots of dust fast, so take this into consideration.
http://www.amazon.com/708596K-JSG-96OS-6-Inch-Horsepower-115-Volt/dp/B000063INV/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1230841351&sr=8-1

Matt Meiser
01-01-2009, 6:38 PM
Before I got a PM 30, I had a Jet with a 6x48 belt and 9" disc which was pretty good. If you can find an older Delta or a Powermatic Model 30, they are way better built than new ones. But you may need to do a restoration.