PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly PreGloat

Paul Greathouse
01-01-2009, 2:53 AM
Did anyone else get off the fence and pull the trigger on some Grizzly tools before the 2009 price increase?

I have been shopping around the past few months and had narrowed my choices down to Grizzly seperates or Euro Combo's. After alot of consideration I decided that since I have the space for seperates and I could get the two Grizzly tools I wanted for less than "size equivelent" Euro combo's, I decided to go Grizzly.

Next comes the 2009 Grizzly catalog and I find that the 12" jointer I want G0609X will increase $300 and 20" Planer G0454Z will go up $400 I knew I had to make a move soon. I have to credit the LOML for pushing me over the edge. Her exact words were, "Stop Talking About It and Just Do It". Gotta love a woman like that.

So, this morning I called the Grizzly customer service and placed my order. The planer is on back order but the Jointer will probably ship Friday. I've been waiting a long time for some serious tools and besides, my new Oneida Pro 1500 Cyclone is itching to suck some real dust. The ShopFox Planer/Molder and my Router table just don't do it justice.

I promise pictures will follow.

Brad Bartley
01-01-2009, 3:23 AM
Ah cripes!!!..no, I missed the boat....

I was trying to be sure of what I wanted...searching for and reading peoples reviews they had posted here, swapping things in and out of my shopping cart seeing how it would change the final total (going back and forth between the 609x and 409x). Then I made another item swap at 1:57am (central time) and noticed all the prices went up.

It's kind of hard to push the 'checkout button' on it now after only 5 minutes ago the total of everything was over a grand less....I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this stuff goes on sale or maybe get lucky and get in on one of those infamous Cash Back/ebay deals...

oh well, I guess that's what I get...happy freak'in new year...

Jim Kountz
01-01-2009, 3:49 AM
Man Brad thats terrible, maybe call them and see what they can do?? Maybe nothing but you just never know.

Mike Heidrick
01-01-2009, 4:20 AM
Brad, is Amazon up to date with the new pricing yet? Maybe order there??

Jason Beam
01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I ultimately caught the G8688 metal lathe before the prices went up.

Brad, sorry for your missed shot :(

Edit: The amazon price for my lathe hasn't gone up yet, maybe you can jump quick? Also, try Ebay - the grizauctions store may have prices locked because of auctions setup last year!

Paul Greathouse
01-01-2009, 8:41 PM
Anybody with either of these two tools have any setup suggestions or shortcuts to make getting the tool ready for use easier?
Grizzly G0609X 12" Jointer
Grizzly G0454Z 20" Planer

Louis Rucci
01-01-2009, 9:12 PM
I ordered the Grizzly G0609 and Shelix cutterhead H9291 on Dec 31st.

Lee Koepke
01-01-2009, 9:17 PM
Her exact words were, "Stop Talking About It and Just Do It".

be careful there ... I have heard them words before !!! :)

I wish I could have gotten in on the new Grizz stuff before the end of the year, but just didnt work out. I will just pack a few more lunches and see what I can do.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-01-2009, 9:45 PM
Paul, I sure did pull the trigger. Once i saw the other post about how much machines were going up, i had to. Plus, i'd spent wayyyy too much time researching, drooling, reading, etc. and finally landed on Grizzly. My wife pretty had the same sentiments yours did: Just buy them already!

I'm getting the 8" Jointer 490x and the 15" planer 453Z. Fortunately, both were in stock in Muncy, PA so i am saving another 280 bucks by going to pick them up on saturday! Can't wait!

Congrats on the purchase...

Happy new year!

Tom Leasure
01-01-2009, 9:49 PM
Pulled the trigger on the Griz 609Z at 3pm on the 31st - caught it at the last minute before the increase - can'y wait for it to get here

Tom

Jerry Williams
01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
This year I got the Jet 22-44 Drum sander. Spent last night setting it up and assembling and today I started cutting up some 2" X 3/4" stock for a butcher block kitchen table (48" X 32"). That should test it out real well and make SWMBO (the CFO) happy.

Jim Kilburg
01-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Yep, just got in under the wire for a GO1023SL. Should have done the Microsoft Cash Back thing but I just wasn't ready. Looks like I still saved $100 over the new catalog price. Can't wait for it to get here now.

Brad Bartley
01-02-2009, 2:08 AM
Mike, Jason:
Excellent idea about trying Amazon...I was able to get the G0514X2 Bandsaw, the G0440 Cyclone w/Stand, and the G0459 Baby Drum Sander all at the 2008 advertised price. However, through Amazon, I can't take advantage of the 6 month Bill Me Later offer, but that's not a big deal

I noticed that while the joiners prices did go up last night, the two I was considering (G0409X and G0609X) have been discounted to below their 2008 catalog prices.

I was also planning on ordering the G0605X Table Saw, but after they updated their website last night, I noticed that they've added a G0605X1 vesion of the saw that is not listed in the new 2009 catalog and it is equal in price to the 2008 G0605X list price ($1,995). After looking through the spec sheet it seems to be improved and has a larger table. One thing that did concern me was that the spec sheet indicated that is has a pre-formed steel trunnion instead of being cast? This must be a typo as it's sister version, the G0606X1 saw, that spec sheet indicates a cast iron trunnion?

Anyway, I'll order a discounted jointer, a the G0453Z at the 2009 price and probably the new G0605X1 through the Grizzly website and take advantage of the 6 months no interest/payment.

Thanks again. After being a little bummed out last night, things didn't turn out too bad after all. As the old saying goes, the early bird get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese :D.

james bell
01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
i have also been looking at the same two tools (609x and 454z) from grizzly, but with the market in the tank, couldn't pull the trigger at last year. NOW with their price increase, grizzly will have to wait for awhile to get my order for these. have to live with my 30+ year old makita 2090 planer/jointer for another year or so.

with the dollar getting stronger, the prices of tools from foreign manufacturers should be doing the opposite, that is, decreasing versus increasing.

that being said, if grizzly finds that their sales in the tank due to the economy and their price increase, they may be forced to put some of their tools on sale!

Brad Bartley
01-03-2009, 1:05 PM
Things didn't work out as I had hoped. The tools I ordered on Amazon worked out OK with the 2008 prices, but when I got home from work to place the order Friday the jointer wasn't one sale after all (it was only strange glitch with the website). I called a couple different times and politly asked them if I could spend $8,000 with you on the prices you had up yesterday and they were firm, saying it's 2009 prices now.

I'm with you, I'll probably try and wait for a sale from Grizzly later this year. Meanwhile, I'll keep a close eye on the used markets in my area.